"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Starre:
Nice!
It's fun to build your own things!

Salas:
If I simulate your filter I see a drop in the frequency curve between 1kHz-3.5kHz on- and off-axis. And then a little bump from 3.5-5kHz i think it was.
I would understand if you lowered the tweeter from ~1-2kHz upp to 20kHz by ~2dB, but this i do not understand.

What was/is your decision to this drop?
You can see some of what i have tried to explain in your posted FR in the 2-way thread
237717d1314566851-secret-building-good-2-way-t2z2m5roompink.gif

I'm constructing a loudspeaker (4 actually, tm, tmm, mtmm, mmtmm) with the exact same config, so it would be fun and interesting to hear your thoughts around yor decisions.
Everything else is different about our two speakers except the 2.4mH coil :)
Here is a pic of an inroom response of an early active crossover version, and I have since this raised the tuning a bit fixed some other things, like the slope at 2kHz.
6033136251_c68cf55b10_z.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That green curve is two speakers playing pink noise in room, taken at 2.5m distance at the center. So the mic was off axis to both. Thus its not easy to repeat for a mono speaker on axis with data taken in an other situation like yours. As for why I did it the way I did, is it was flat initially through the mids but when both were playing I judged it a bit forward for piano and vox.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very little toe in for the speakers when I got the green curve. But if you get flat mids with 8 inch drivers when the mic is off axis, aren't they boosted for level there a bit when the mic is on axis to each one individually? What happens if you measure the pair when each one is looking almost straight ahead to the room?

Thanks Schmutziger, the drivers are very good and I hope you get it just right for your taste :).

Thanks!
I'm getting there!
"some" cross-over work to do though...
:)

Salas:
At current they measure very straight on axis and quite straight off-axis.
experimenting with waveguide in order to reduce tweeter power off-axis
Going to do a lot of measuring in a couple of days(hopefully) could post some pics when it's done, and if it looks and sounds good :)

Last edited:
Yeah Salas, I suspected it would mean a different speaker. Maybe if I make a cheap 2-way learning project that idea is worth trying. I was thinking that if you can place tweeter on top but keep the same volume for woofer it would be possible to skip the stands since the tweeter is higher.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Depends in what region this brings the floor reflection destructive interference in combination with listening distance. Center of gravity and mass of construction, impact to box resonance, diffraction pattern due to woofer's emanation point and if it is best point up high, litres you need and if allowing to get enough base area to be stable if building it high, many things. What you will need, is a calibrated mic, handy soundcard, handy software like HOLM Impulse, reading many other projects, time, ideas to test, and passion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.