"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have done as said, and (!) I hear a clear improvement! It seems the problem was a leaking cabinet. I have just started to listen but I am pretty sure it is ok now. Posting pictures.....

Nice, so we got positive news. The stuffing looks OK as in the original for one. I am inclined to think that when that room is going to get a carpet and more furniture, plus seeing there is space to move even further towards the front wall (the wall behind the speakers), maybe you will be able not to resort to crossover tweaks. Especially after more elasticity sets in the woofer surrounds, its a very fresh build. Looks fine in proportion to the room by the way. Not bad at all for a first time builder.;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't let them stand more than ~1m tall from top to floor when on final stands, so to have a good axis height when seated on a sofa. You can make some tests when in comfortable stance on your particular sofa and best height for you by listening to voice and piano.

Right now the stands are 35 cm making the whole 106 cm high. But up to the middle of the tweeter it is 99cm. I think a shortening of about 5cm might be it like you mentioned, but I saved a few cm just in case to start with, but I think you are right that it is a little too high right now.

I am pretty sure of it, I have stepped settings on my volume and earlier I put it beyond "12 o´clock" and now it is sufficient at 12. I just listened again and it has very good dynamics, low level detail is very good and I hear info I never heard before from bass and all the way up in frequency. It seems the filter parts is very good allowing the drivers show all that detail.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am pretty sure of it, I have stepped settings on my volume and earlier I put it beyond "12 o´clock" and now it is sufficient at 12. I just listened again and it has very good dynamics, low level detail is very good and I hear info I never heard before from bass and all the way up in frequency. It seems the filter parts is very good allowing the drivers show all that detail.

Yes its true you did not make a cheap crossover, much dearer than normal commercial standard.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas what is the Frequency Response and sensitivity of the speaker?

87-88dB SPL. About frequency I only saved a pink noise response chart from full stereo pair replay in room. Its listening spot taken at 2.5m including all interference and nodes. Its a kind of that particular living room and speakers ''house curve''. It takes a frame of curves and averaging around the listener to be more informative, but anyway.

Attachments

• T2Z2m5RoomPink.gif
    T2Z2m5RoomPink.gif
    15 KB · Views: 567
  • T2WZ.gif
    T2WZ.gif
    15 KB · Views: 562
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Even when they do that house curve they average many measurements for each channel and then they average the two sets outcome. That one solo take is the worse possible. It includes not only standing waves, but room reverberation and absorption also, since its pink noise RTA. Still I have seen much worse with just one spot take from a pair playing together in real rooms.

Some info about what is going on right now. I have screwed the bass port tubes to the speakers. I have a test CD with frequency tests for bass and so on and I discovered I have sound in the 20Hz band, weak but present, that was a surprise. I am planning to make a listening chart from 20Hz and upwards to 100Hz to figure out how the bass is doing.

I have now done a listening chart, it is subjectly made but rather exact from many listenings. I use a level grading from 1 to 5 where 1 is very weak but you hear something present. Its range is from 20Hz-105Hz. Speakers a little closer to back wall now, 55cm from center of back panel to wall.

Freq:Level
20Hz:1-
21Hz:1
24Hz:2
27Hz:1
30Hz:2
33Hz:2+
36Hz:3
39Hz:3+
42Hz:3+
45Hz:4
48Hz:4+
51Hz:4+
54Hz:4
57Hz:4-
60Hz:4
65Hz:4+
70Hz:5-
75Hz:4
80Hz:4
85Hz:4-
90Hz:4
95Hz:3
100Hz:2+
105Hz:3

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.