"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 02:35 AM   #891
DavidLS is offline DavidLS  Canada
diyAudio Member

Starre (Sebastion err Steffan) and Salas - just want to congratulate you guys on a great thread. Have read the whole thing twice - inspirational. Had me checking that I still did have that router in the basement not to mention a whack of left over black hole 5. Love the end quality, bang for the buck, sweat equity all the stuff that sings to me about diy. I think also your perseverance - how it is about overcoming little hurdles on the way to 1.5 years later a truly great end product that you are proud of and love to listen to. Looking forward to the next installment involving the borrowed cd player....

I am stuck 100 pages in on Jo Nesbo's 5th novel (have read first 4 and know he is from Norwegian vs Swedish) - your posts were much more interesting than my latest Harry Hole had me reading carefully til midnight last night.

inspired I am starting to dream about a new project....
Old 12th April 2013, 06:46 AM   #892
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi David, nice that you have found some inspiration from it, I guess you have to calculate some "banging your head in the wall" when you go DIY like this. But it is rewarding too. On sunday 14/4 I will have access to that CD-player....
Old 17th April 2013, 07:36 PM   #893
diyAudio Member

Default Test done.

OK so I have tried the CD-player and it was quite interesting. First, the treble was clearly better with more air and extension and the fading out of sound from a cymbal and such much longer and not dying as quickly. Mid-range was clearer and more detailed, more focus on voices, a clear step up too. Bass was not so different, I have a little more output in the bass in my player but maybe slightly less detail or/and focus. But space was increased with bigger and more open sound stage and depth. So the good news is that the lack of clarity in mid-range seem to be the source itself that matters the most. Bad news is I am thinking of a new source..... I will not change anything with the speakers. My listening friend with the CD-player also said it sounded better now with the new positioning of the speakers. So over all it was a experience.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:07 PM   #894
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Do you have any of the old black stuff to spin? If yes maybe add a TT...
Old 17th April 2013, 08:33 PM   #895
diyAudio Member

I have some from my youth but not that many. I have been considering a TT now and then but I only have a old Dual 505 with a Orthophone OM20 pick-up I haven´t used for something like 20 years. Need a MM amp too. Maybe time to get a streaming solution and rip my CDs. I have no idea what you need for that but I can find out, of course.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:14 PM   #896
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You can upgrade digitally with small money for say an Odac using your computer to stream whatever via USB. Okay a Buffalo might be better but costs much more to put together. Check out the digital forum threads here. There must be a gazillion ways to rip your cds decently into the hard disk, the digital buffs here will surely tell you how's best if you will place a question.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:17 PM   #897
diyAudio Chief Moderator

For MM pre you can get a phonoclone kit for few $. Check out the analogue source sub-forum. Should be more than good enough for the Dual. I used to have a 505 in the 80's too.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:08 PM   #898
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will look into your proposals.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:47 PM   #899
diyAudio Member

Looking for a new source, about to sell my source equipment. I need something really good, an big upgrade. Good DACs are not cheap, been looking at a Hegel 25 for 1900 Euro and upwards in price. What is the minimum price for a real top DAC?
Old 24th April 2013, 06:35 PM   #900
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Benchmark DAC2 HGC ?

Hide this!Advertise here!