"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 08:59 AM   #881
diyAudio Member

It looks like you have a standard swedish home, i suppose the rt60 is quite high?
You should turn your attention to the room or at least add foam absorbers between the speakers for the early reflection of the backwall? it should definetly give you more midrange clarity and less harsh sound as the volume goes up if you do. 7-10cm deep. ~1-2m high
or build a speaker with more radiating surface in the midrange and a waveguide to lower distortion and get a higher directivity, 2,5, d'appolito etc? if you want more clarity in midrange?
instead of buying a new cd-player or change a coil.?
Old 9th April 2013, 09:34 AM   #882
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I moved the speakers to a better place in room and also made some damping of reverb. I am not buying anything, just testing.
Old 9th April 2013, 03:42 PM   #883
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Dissi, did you find time to produce the curves with the mic positioned as I mentioned for the simulator axis? Thanks.

P.S. How does it simulate cabinet diffraction and radiators angle responses just from IEC baffle published data? What mathematical technique? Like in SoundEasy?
Old 9th April 2013, 10:49 PM   #884
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Dissi, did you find time to produce the curves with the mic positioned as I mentioned for the simulator axis? Thanks.

P.S. How does it simulate cabinet diffraction and radiators angle responses just from IEC baffle published data? What mathematical technique? Like in SoundEasy?
Moving the mic 6 cm below the tweeter axis does not change very much, sorry Salas, it's just a simulation.

The spl is calculated by summing up several hundreds of small sound sources located on the diaphragm and along the baffle edges in a 3D coordinate system. Individual driver response is retrieved from manufacturer datasheets and other sources. Modeled driver response in a specific baffle is adjusted with a parametric equalizer to match the reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SimulationTired2wayOriginal2.jpg (110.0 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Dissi; 9th April 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:18 AM   #885
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Maybe it does change the off axis speculation a bit though?
Old 10th April 2013, 07:57 AM   #886
diyAudio Member

I could cut that capacitor out of the crossover, I think I can reach it inside. But to solder it back again is harder .
Old 10th April 2013, 02:57 PM   #887
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That capacitor we put it because we felt the mids bit forward in the original voicing. It was without it for some little time. Still it was in another room, in another system, in a different materials cabinet, so you may judge for yourself further.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:58 PM   #888
diyAudio Member

Yes it all depends, hard say how it would sound in my room. I will not do anything until I have tested a few things. Maybe someone knows how a little recessed 2-2.5kHz affect mid range clarity? I know that if you do not have those over tones at all of speach it is harder to detect what is beeing said, I did a test of that once many years ago. That is why telephones has a frequencey range up to about 3kHz.
Old 10th April 2013, 04:15 PM   #889
diyAudio Chief Moderator

See Harbeth domestic VS studio monitor line about that. It depends a lot on the surroundings.
Old 10th April 2013, 04:39 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

I will try to google that, thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!