"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 08:05 PM   #801
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I do not have any coils but I could get a pair. If I did put in one, which frequency range will it affect most?
Old 16th December 2012, 08:18 PM   #802
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It will put down the whole hump range but it will probably weaken the 2-3k area too. Better get 0.5mH so you can start heavy and if too much, unwind progressively. It will be a judicious point for your set up where you will feel balance is best for you.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:27 PM   #803
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree. And it seem to me that extra bracing could not be the cause since it is over a rather wide range. And a smaller box volume that I might have compared with the original should not affect that high in frequency. Maybe try more stuffing but I suspect it would take a lot of it to get that level down?
Old 16th December 2012, 08:32 PM   #804
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It could restrict bass too. But its easier to try with that first.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:50 PM   #805
diyAudio Member

Yes I will try that first. If I get it down a little without losing bass it could be enough.
Good night Nick, I appreciate your help.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:44 AM   #806
diyAudio Member

Maybe my stiffening of the box made the middle range to pop out a little since less energy is stored in it.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:50 AM   #807
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If you take several RTA graphs on a window around listening position from one speaker playing, then the other, and then average them out, then you will know the normalized room response. Its tedious.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:07 PM   #808
diyAudio Member

I will take it slow beginning with more stuffing first. But I am concerned it will do a very small difference since I read online that the type I am using (polyester wool) is not very effective in the middle range. But trying it out will tell. I will post my results tonight. I am in no hurry so I can try everything else before I even consider adding that extra coil.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #809
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Get cheap 3.5mH coils maybe with high saturation ferromagnetic core to avoid high RDC in logical price and start measuring and unwinding until best in room possible value for the pair and your preference is the most drastic.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:11 PM   #810
diyAudio Member

I doubled the amount of stuffing behind woofer and measured like before but I have the speakers a little less toe-in than I used to (since it almost looked the same in my post yesterday).
First pic is as mentioned above, second I opened the door to my sleeping room (watch the bass peak) and last a close measuring just between tweeter and woofer at 0.35m distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.7m.jpg (191.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 0.7open.jpg (191.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 0.35mnear.jpg (283.0 KB, 109 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!