"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 09:55 PM   #71
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas, I have started with the crossover, so far I have fixed the terminals and the capacitors soldered together (se picture). My thought is to keep all of the legs original lenght for now and later when I am happy with the layout and so on I will resolder it making it better looking (shortening the legs). I am making my first crossover so I am not familiar with how you do this the best way, but I am used to soldering things together. The capacitor "packets" will then be connected to other components using contact blocks with screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker13.jpg (120.0 KB, 732 views)

Last edited by Starre; 28th October 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 28th October 2011, 10:03 PM   #72
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Looks like you are on your way. Look for best mounting the coils for minimum interference.
Old 28th October 2011, 10:07 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Yes I have been reading about that so I will be careful, that wooden base I am using is rather big so I got plenty of space .
Old 29th October 2011, 02:25 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Hi, this is my proposal for layout and connection, need some input thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter.jpg (170.0 KB, 722 views)
File Type: gif xr.gif (13.1 KB, 650 views)
Old 29th October 2011, 02:34 PM   #75
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Make the common (-) like a star ground is better.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:03 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

You mean like this picture with a common "rail"?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Jenzen-SEAS-ER-crossover-layout-2.gif (36.3 KB, 612 views)

Last edited by Starre; 29th October 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:50 PM   #77
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In reply to post #70 Salas: No, that was the DBS6- I didn't get to build or listen to that one. The DBS4 was about 38 litres, so a bit smaller than the Tired, and used the SEAS 21FWB-M 8" paper mid-bass unit and originally the SEAS H107 (1"?) plastic dome tweeter. The MkII used the SEAS H253- I think- which was similar to the tweeter in the Mission 770 of the time. The MkII also had some crossover changes to suit the new tweeter and revisions to the bracing and internal foam damping. A particular feature was the use of drinking straws in the ports, in the manner of contemporary Celef loudspeakers. My brother still uses DBS5s, which were 7 litre closed boxes using the KEF B110B and the Scan-Speak D2008 tweeter. The later DBS7 was built by a friend of mine to replace his own DBS4s, which were stolen. That was a slim floorstander using one of the variants of the Audax HM170Zx aerogel cone mid-bass units and the Morel MDT30 tweeter, reflex loaded. IIRC there was also a DBS8 which used a SEAS coaxial driver and, I seem to remember, a second SEAS bass unit in a sealed box. All the ones I heard were very good. The DBS5 was printed in Practical Hi-fi in the early '80s, with the rest published in Hi-fi News. Dave now works for Epos as head of speaker design. Well you did ask Salas! More information than you wanted no doubt! Anyway, the Tired strongly resembles the DBS4, in outline at least. It's all in the execution though of course. And now we return to the focus of the thread...

Last edited by Toaster; 29th October 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:55 PM   #78
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ideally Starre, they would all be brought together at one point. Starre earthing?

Old 29th October 2011, 03:55 PM   #79
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
You mean like this picture with a common "rail"?
That's a buss bar, quite good if the bar is thick. Also practical because in line.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:59 PM   #80
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
In reply to post #70 Salas: ...
Thanks for the detailed answer. The Tired was born out of pure necessity, nothing ambitious. The old cab dictated it basically. Still in service with my friend though.

Hide this!Advertise here!