"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #761
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

With few due comments I suppose.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #762
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, I got a little tired of it all tonight since I was not getting the result I hoped for. But I will continue when I am back on track.
Old 25th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #763
diyAudio Member

After some testing I have found the best distance from back wall to front of speakers to be 0.65 m and distance from back wall to ear 0.7 m. This to get the bass peaks around 50-60 Hz as low as possible. I have learned the hard way that measuring below 200 Hz is very hard since the room affects it so much, you really do not know how the speaker itself measures here, so I focused just on the peak I have. Higher up from a few hundred to 2 kHz I have a little too much energy/level which I think could be solved with some acoustic dampening material. Maybe I will try that but it sounds ok as it is so it is not a big concern. I have a self made dampening panel in the basement I used in my old apartment and I will try it between speakers later on to see if it helps. I have also put a small book shelf behind listening position to make that wall less uniform, but I do not know how much it affects sound yet.

Last edited by Starre; 25th November 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 08:38 PM   #764
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Sorting out a nice acoustic space bit by bit. Nice.
Old 25th November 2012, 08:48 PM   #765
diyAudio Member

Yes, I want to try out how that space works and how to use it in a good way. Since nothing is perfect I hope to get rid of the biggest issues with some smart using of space and speakers. I found some acoustic dampening materials made for studio whch I am thinking of getting if the test with my home made one seems to be a step in the right direction. It is not very pretty so I am not sure if I can live with it on the wall .
Old 1st December 2012, 10:03 AM   #766
diyAudio Member

My home made absorber behind speaker on wall helps so I am thinking of getting this:
2 Inch Studiofoam Wedges - Acoustic foam sound absorption products from Auralex Acoustics.
Any other suggestions?
Old 6th December 2012, 02:49 PM   #767
diyAudio Member

I bought 2 panels (61x61x5 cm). Should have biggest impact right behind speakers. A cheap way to try out what happens (45 Euro for 2 panels).
Old 6th December 2012, 03:57 PM   #768
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Or on the first ceiling reflection.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:08 PM   #769
diyAudio Member

Yes possible. Roof, floor and wall behind speakers are all possible making big impact.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:28 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Salas, reflection from floor gives that dip in bass around 70 Hz, right? So if ideal you should get rid of that, is it better to dampen it or use diffusors? Is it correct that close to speakers dampening is best and further away diffusors is the way to go?

Hide this!Advertise here!