"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2012, 06:13 PM   #631
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Ok now I am finally done!

Had a friend over Friday night for listening and we draw this conclusion:
Bass level is pleasing to listen to, a little more bass than earlier but since I always perceived bass to be a little shy it is of no concern, it is even a little positive. The bass peak I had we thought was on the edge of getting disturbing, so I tried a little bigger distance to back wall tonight ( about 5 cm) and it helped, it tamed the peak enough I think, and also the extra space might help to reduce the back wave from the speaker box and drivers a little too. Also we noticed that toe-in was too large before, so less of that helped to open up the sound stage significantly, it made it more enjoyable to listen too so I will keep it.
I am very happy with what I got right now, I encourage others to try build this speaker with Salas consent since he and Mikvous did the original that I copied. Just be careful with the speaker cabinet to get it right and it will be a very nice speaker! Thanks to Salas for his patience with me, a great fellow he is.
Old 12th September 2012, 08:15 PM   #632
diyAudio Member

Sometimes you forget the most basic things. Found out tonight that the peak I heard was not cured very much by moving speakers but moving yourself. When I moved listening position 1 meter back that peak was gone...
Old 12th September 2012, 08:30 PM   #633
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You sat on a node maximum before it seems.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:09 PM   #634
diyAudio Member

Yes very much so indeed . Glad I found out before I did something stupid I would regret later.
Old 16th September 2012, 12:54 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Default Test CD

I did some listening tests today and bass is working nice in my new listening position. I also preferred a little more distance to back wall (100 cm to front) because it makes the sound more dimensional and airy, and I think bass works good. The Nora Jones CD is sounding better than before so something is right. A few cabinet resonances from the back can just be heard sometimes but no big deal at all. I was thinking what if you use something on the outside of the back to further dampen it, what is effective? I could just hang something at the back and try it out. That way I do not have to put anything on the wall itself. How do you do this the best way? Suggestions?
Old 16th September 2012, 01:25 PM   #636
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Wool felt sheets maybe.
Old 16th September 2012, 01:37 PM   #637
diyAudio Member

I will try that, thanks.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:45 AM   #638
diyAudio Member

Default New signal cable.

I borrowed a Kimber Kable KCAG with XLR contacts and replaced my Silver Streak RCA and it is rather remarkable how much better it is. No problem to hear with tired2way speakers. The cable sits between power amp and pre.
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:34 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

If I would put some extra material on the outside of the cabinet to further make it sound dead, what is effective, Salas? I was thinking of making it like a u-shape around the middle section from side-to-side via back panel.
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:20 PM   #640
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Don't know, I had never used something outside after the build for that purpose. Only felt I had used for reflections around tweeters. During build just 6mm veneered panels used like ''outer skin'' had a surprisingly stiffening effect on a man height tall speaker once.

Hide this!Advertise here!