"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am convinced I have a little too much bass from the port even with the front bottom plate removed, I stuffed it with a little polyester filling and it was more balanced, this to emulate a bigger box. So I think I will remove some material inside, I got a rod from front to back which I can reduce a little. This should be better than just add more stuffing if I am correct.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In high Q drivers and alignments such a trick can lend 3rd order HPF to the system. Some called it "aperiodic". But when applying to different systems vents just a little too much it can turn blunt. Another thing you may try is drinking straws pack in the vents. Do Not lough.:D

I have owned a pair of the Larsen Model 4's for a year now and am completely satisfied with them. A small cabinet that goes right up agianst the wall, but does indeed sound very open and natural to my ears. I would certainly love to hear the bigger brother Model 8 that was on review at Positive Feedback Online.

Nice speakers Starre, looks as if the added panel or "beard" on your speaker stands has helped some. This is a nice tweek to a lot of stand mount designs, extending the baffle to the floor. Looks nice too! Tim

Thanks Tim, glad to hear you like your Larsen. I am out for a quest of finding my next speakers and it is slowly going forward. I am looking for more resolution and transparency combined with best dynamics I can find without going silly money. Larsen 8 is very good but I want to go further, a bigger step up from my nice tired2way. And I do not want to build something this time since I want to hear it before build which is hard to realize.

I sure do understand. I have not heard the Model 8, so no idea really where it sits in the grand scheme of things. I do feel the Model 4 is a very good buy. I also have a pair of Shahinian Obelisk 2's, and they are quite incredible as well, especially for a fairly small cabinet. Keep us posted on your ventures! Tim

Had my system down for a week to get perspective on it, and when I reconnected everything I did a change I did not think of before I started listening. But it sounded better than before, I have had some problems with a rather non-involving and dynamically lacking sound and did not know what was wrong. This time it was all good again, and it was the power cord to my dac that was now turned in the wall outlet. I had it like that first but at some point I must have turned it thinking it might not be a problem, but it apparently was. Big difference, now it is involving and fun to listen again.

Yes it will affect things like that too. Since I added some extra bracing I had room for a little extra stuffing as well, and after my latest addition in the bottom bass sounds quite different so it really change things. I am afraid I will lose speed/dynamics with added wool.
If I am correct, putting some stuffing in the middle behind woofer will not give a reflection back towards the cone, it just slows down the back wave and dampens reflections in the box.

I put in a layer about 20x30 cm in the bottom so it now fills up and just touch the reflex port, I have not put any extra behind woofer yet. But I have 3 layers there already and I think it is enough without slowing down dynamics too much. Maybe further damping can make the mid range even better but I will not do anything more now and just listen to really know how it sounds. The damping material I use is about 2,5-3 cm thick so I have approx. 8 cm thickness behind woofer at the back wall but only there and not all the way to bottom (one layer).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.