"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2012, 09:27 PM   #511
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Certainly. Dates back to the Celestion Aerolam days, which wasn't that incredibly priced, and higher tech by the way.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:41 AM   #512
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Fix it up better first, to evaluate.
I am not sure what you meant, Salas . Can you be specific.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:05 AM   #513
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Hi Starre. It gets better every day huh ?

I have a question for you and Salas since both of you have listened to this speakers and experimented with inductivity on midbas

While evaluating what amount of inductivity would be the best for this midbas, did you get all smeared up mids after you excedentally put to much mH on it ?

I had problems with it in my two way. In the begining simulation was great but sound was very bad. When i put 1.5mH on my midbas (not this Seas but bigger midbas) mids were great but bass did not exist. I tried (in one iteration of xover) with 3mH and bass was great but the mids (piano actually) was awful. I measured and kept track of FR and reverse polarity all the way. I ended up with 1.9mH on midbas which was the best for it in that configuration. Enough bass with clean mids.

With piano it was most obvious because (piano being percussion instrument) have that slight ring that lasts a while when hammer strikes the string. When i put too much inductivity on it, the ring was gone.

Sorry if you consider this OT but i am very curious about your experience with it
Old 15th June 2012, 11:26 AM   #514
diyAudio Member

I think Salas is the man to answer since I never change the value of that coil (2.5mH). Bass was too withdrawn first making me wonder, but it got better when the box was properly sealed, and now with very heavy stands bass is great! That ringing you experienced, I have a few notes of piano that excite the box a little, but if I damp the box a little more maybe it will disappear. And your problem maybe has nothing to do with the box itself?
Old 15th June 2012, 11:32 AM   #515
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Problem in my case was not with the box. Piano itself has that ringy kind of sound. I ment "ring" in positive way. The string vibrates when hammer strikes it and it creates that ring that i was talking about.

Not resonances of the box.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:35 AM   #516
diyAudio Member

Ok, that is good. Like you said, getting better and better it is. If I compare the sound now with before my mods, sound quality is much better in deed.

Last edited by Starre; 15th June 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 15th June 2012, 02:11 PM   #517
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
I am not sure what you meant, Salas . Can you be specific.
I meant that extra front base panel to be fixed steadier before you decide about its contribution to coloration.
Old 15th June 2012, 02:25 PM   #518
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvuchniak View Post
Hi Starre. It gets better every day huh ?

I have a question for you and Salas since both of you have listened to this speakers and experimented with inductivity on midbas

While evaluating what amount of inductivity would be the best for this midbas, did you get all smeared up mids after you excedentally put to much mH on it ?

I had problems with it in my two way. In the begining simulation was great but sound was very bad. When i put 1.5mH on my midbas (not this Seas but bigger midbas) mids were great but bass did not exist. I tried (in one iteration of xover) with 3mH and bass was great but the mids (piano actually) was awful. I measured and kept track of FR and reverse polarity all the way. I ended up with 1.9mH on midbas which was the best for it in that configuration. Enough bass with clean mids.

With piano it was most obvious because (piano being percussion instrument) have that slight ring that lasts a while when hammer strikes the string. When i put too much inductivity on it, the ring was gone.

Sorry if you consider this OT but i am very curious about your experience with it
Its a critical component because it shapes the step response by counteracting the diffraction losses. Moreover its acting in the critical frequency region where the sense of musical power and reverberation are mainly perceived. After your initial crossover model with pseudo anechoic single speaker near takes and some initial auditions, continue in stereo with RTA at 3m away so to see the power that the room gathers and the balance between bass, upper bass, low mids. Usually 3dB step compensation is good because stereo couples high bass power to room all around and starts beaming soon in midbass. If you over compensate, it might sound fine in mono but leaden in stereo. There the plot curves can be indicative, but a multitap test coil or several from a coils box might prove great tools to tune the system to your room and liking in best fashion.
Old 15th June 2012, 04:14 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I meant that extra front base panel to be fixed steadier before you decide about its contribution to coloration.
Ok, I will try that and compare without it too. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2012, 01:04 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

Me and a friend listened yesterday, we both agreed the speaker is better now with the mods. We also noticed that with the front panel on the stands bass is maybe a little more than neutral, more "pumping" bass that is quite nice on some material but on others draws attention to it making it annoying in the long run.
When watching movies it is nice, less listening to music. So I can easily adjust sound after taste, I like it . I think that loose panel does not affect resonances in the box itself or otherwise, it is tightly squeezed in place. I know that some day I will probably try to get rid of that last resonance I can hear from the box but I have to be sure how to get rid of it first, no rush since it is a minor "problem". I think the little extra damping I use in the bottom opposite the woofer (about 5cm thickness) does not affect bass performance and gives mid range more clarity.
More damping helps getting rid of internal standing waves/back bounce but can hinder air flow making bass level go down, so it is as always a matter of balance.

Last edited by Starre; 17th June 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!