"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2012, 06:42 PM   #501
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I use blu-tac, and only some masking tape under the stand to protect the floor.
Old 14th June 2012, 06:42 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

Starre isn't it better to isolate the box from the stand with the stone?
Old 14th June 2012, 06:45 PM   #503
diyAudio Member

Well Dufus, then it gets too high...with a lower stand it would work, better I do not know...
I am glad I kept that 2.5mH coil lol, bass is more prominent and it swings a lot more!
I think I have seen those Mission speakers, Salas, but it also reminds me of another newer design (the look of the stand) but I can´t remember the makers name.

Last edited by Starre; 14th June 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:34 PM   #504
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Maybe 2.5mH a saver, because of the extra front surface you added, it may have lowered your step transition point. Something like Wilson Watt and Beard accessory.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:39 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Yes that is possible, the thought has crossed my mind, but I tried this panel before adding the weight and it had a very sligth effect. What is strange(?) is that the speaker seem more sensitive now, I had to lower the volume on my preamp a little not to play too loud. Less energy lost in the box, maybe?
Old 14th June 2012, 07:45 PM   #506
diyAudio Chief Moderator

One is that, the more it rocks about on a pedestal the more it dissipates mechanically than putting it in room, the other is if it picked up in the mid bass, the ear is feeling it since the power band in music is 200-800Hz.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:22 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

I can always remove the panel if wanted, it is loose. I wonder if a third round rod would help....
Old 14th June 2012, 09:32 PM   #508
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Fix it up better first, to evaluate.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:57 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Yes, I need to get used to the "new sound" and then maybe if needed a slight change. I have more respect for that woofer now, it is better playing bass than I thought possible . Also the middle range is better and clearer. I remember earlier when I tried how much damping to use and I was not very good evaluating the sound. But some time ago I noticed that when watching movies listening to dialouge, it had a kind of ghost voice sound (a bit hollow or echo) and I thought it should be like that (that it was resolution/detail). But after adding some more damping and (bracing) it disappeared, and I hope it is correct. When listening to pure music it was harder to detect this, making me unsure if more damping was needed.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:05 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

Salas do you think making the font panel from thick slab of aluminum would be improvement?
Magico uses aluminum so is AAD.

Hide this!Advertise here!