"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will try to get some answers though some might be hard to get out of him :D.
I tried a new "mod" to my system today, I put some hard rubber feet under my power amp ( it is meant to be used as large furniture feet) and it works very good I think so far from listening (maybe I will change my mind later on with extensive listening). I was lucky since they fit perfectly under the feet already in place on it from the manufacturer. Also it helps air circulation keeping it cooler since it increased the distance from the floor it is standing on. So what does it do? Well it sounds a little cleaner and more relaxed than before. The price was almost nothing, about 7 euro. I have seen some "exotic feet" costing a fortune.

Yes I am sure you can find better feet than mine Salas, but it was worth a try and seem to work. Here is a picture of it:

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 226
Today I met Touraj Moghaddam from Vertere Acoustics. He is a very nice man and is passionate about music and hifi. He had a demo of his different types of cables for interconnect and USB. Using a computer to a DAC with USB it was not very difficult hearing the difference in sound quality when moving up with better and better cables. Also we tried his Pulse R interconnect and it also was a clear step up in quality. Interestingly enough the amplifier and dac was not very expensive (Roksan Caspian amp about 1700£ and a Pathos dac for about 600£ and some PMC speakers which I do not know the price level). He said that the quality for RCA/XLR plugs was important for the final sound but every choice has its advantages/disadvantages and that he had tried out what he liked best, among them he tried WBT next gen but he did not use them in the final product. The XLR are from Neutric in 2 different versions (standard and reference).
I asked him how he got into the cable business and how he discovered that this is a weak link in many systems. He told me that when setting up the same system/equipment in different places for different customers and so on it sometimes sounded good and the next time not good at all. The only thing that was different from time to time was the customers using different cables (well the room acoustics maybe was different too, just a thought) so he designed his own and took them with him, and when it was noticed that they sounded better than the customers cables more and more people wanted to buy them. This was about 7 years ago.
Here is a picture of the man himself:

Attachments

• Touraj.jpg
    Touraj.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I tried another Pulse B interconnect between preamp and poweramp to find out if it would mean a big leap in quality like the first one did. I am happy to say the difference was very small this time so I will keep my old cable and save some money :D. I did a slight change to the toe-in of the speakers, a little less of it made it more pleasing I think. I got a very good balance now i think from bass to treble, it sounds neutral with nothing sticking out. Since I got my Pulse B between cd and preamp it sounds very relaxed and in control even when you play very loud. I am very pleased :cheers:.
When I met Touraj we played a lot of music with a computer and dac and it surely sounded good so my next step is to try this as a source and compare to my cd-player. I have started to learn about this "new" way of playing music. I also hope more people will build this speaker (maybe someone has without posting yet?) since it is a good one and not that expensive compared with what you get.

Been listening quite alot to it and it does some very nice things. But a friend of mine had some concerns with a little to bright sound in the treble, saying transients sounded a little forward and sharp. I know the tweeter has got a little rising response around 10kHz so maybe that is what he heard. Maybe this tweeter is a little bright and sharp? Since I am older than him I do not think it is very much of a problem but I could hear what he meant.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If its not subjectively sharp with other flat response source equipment and amplification then its not the culprit. A good thing with DIY is you can intervene. So if you like some gear for everything else you may try to tone down the mid-hf in the speaker for instance. I.e. higher value mid-woofer coil, or higher value tweeter attenuation resistance or both. 8-10kHz is sibilance region mostly by the way.

Good point, I was not thinking of that. If I get your point the transients is lower in frequency than say 8kHz so that range should not be a "problem", it is lower in frequency.
To be honest I am not very good at judging how transients "should sound". Maybe someone can explain that to me, what is your explanation, Salas?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Transients are fast power changes. Depending on where they concentrate for frequency band in a program we call them LF, MF, HF transients for instance. In what region your impressions mainly concentrate? Is it repeatable on headphones? That would point away from the speakers or not.

That can be done but now he is not "available" for the moment, lol. But I will have a listening session with another hifi friend tonight and ask him what he thinks.
I am a little concerned because I am not sure what is the cause of it and that makes me a little careful about buying the DAC since it might be expensive to make it sound as "it should". Or it is the dac itself sounding like that.
Or maybe it needs better speakers to do that and then it can be a little waste of money with a new dac since I should get new speakers too (the price difference between speakers and dac is quite large) to get the full potential and so on, expensive. Phew, not easy :D.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.