"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2012, 03:06 PM   #461
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Bass soft or stiff? Two different descriptions.
Old 19th February 2012, 03:15 PM   #462
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Maybe I have been unclear, I have the swedish word but uncertain of translating it.
Inelastic is the closest I get.
Old 19th February 2012, 03:19 PM   #463
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I mean you were describing it as ''soft'' till recently. Are they having another idea, or you wanted to say ''inelastic'' all along?
Old 19th February 2012, 03:28 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

Yes I know Salas, it can be hard to describe sounds with words. Most correct is inelastic all along to answer your question. But also it was soft in the beginning, now I do not find it especially soft, it sounds good and can hit rather hard if it is in the music. I have been playing some Erica Badu with electric bass and it does not sound soft, it is just right.
I hope this have shred some light on the matter.
Old 19th February 2012, 03:32 PM   #465
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Beyond we don't stand a chance for forging a career in TAS, I got it.
Old 19th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

, glad I could sort things out.
Old 19th February 2012, 04:34 PM   #467
AlexQS is offline AlexQS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starre View Post
I used dowels to keep it in place since I have only 2 hands, lol. Then I only glued it no screws. Looking good, I would recommend to place the bracings exactly as in Salas drawing, I did it a little different with the lower bracing but I think that was not better so stick to the original.
Dowels sounds smart, I should have thought of that. I think I am too late to do that now. The speakers my Dad made 30 years ago (I am listening to them now) have screws that have never come loose or vibrated after all this time -I may screw mine too. I can predrill, counter-sink, and fill and sand; it will be a nice job.

I guess there are some choices about making joints, etc. Aside from that I am sticking to the origional plan as much as possible. I will put the cross-braces where Salas's plans indicate.

I enjoy hearing your listening impressions Stare. My 30+ year old TL's truely are tired, and having a more modern tweeter is exciting to me. I'm glad it's a good one!
Old 19th February 2012, 05:57 PM   #468
diyAudio Member

I can say this, you can match these speakers with the very best equipment and you will hear every change. Put as much effort as you can into them, it is worth it! What crossover components are you using?
Old 19th February 2012, 06:32 PM   #469
AlexQS is offline AlexQS  United States
diyAudio Member

Haven't decided on brand of cross-over stuff yet. I had found some stuff on partsexpress that I believe was Jentzen if I recall correctly. They had some that were listed as high quality "Z" something. I am open to suggestions for quality, but I think if I go back and read I'll find what you used (Jentzen right?)

There's a good shop near here, JAMAC Audio Portland Oregon (JAMAC SPEAKERS // Raw drivers information page). I will find out also if they can order the drivers for less cost than what I can import them from Europe-Audio. They may have things for cross-over on the shelf so I won't have to order online. They are reputable and have been a big of the audio-scene in this region for decades; so that helps.

I am spreading the costs of this project over time. No point in importing the expensive drivers if I am not successful in building the cabinet. So far I am only into this $35 for wood, and it is going well. I will build the cross-over next, and get drivers last.
Old 19th February 2012, 07:08 PM   #470
diyAudio Member

The coils and resistors are from Jantzen (not Jentzen, that is another brand) and one capacitor. The rest of the coils are from Intertechnik (german). It is not that important if the brand you use is not the same, but I would say use as high quality as you can/want. Jentzen has very high quality capacitors but they cost a fortune, Jantzen is good but cheaper.

Hide this!Advertise here!