"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2011, 10:53 PM   #301
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Many people say they like the midrange contribution from inside their box. If it is helping you then you should consider keeping it. However, another way of looking at it is that any midrange coming back out of the box is not correct. Of course there are worse things, but what to do? If you damp out your box (leaving breathing room for the woofer), you would then need to chase down the reason that your midrange is lacking. It could be a long task and if you want a guarantee that you will like what you find, you're on your own.

Many times I have been chasing something like this. Sometimes I was disappointed that I touched it and lost what I had. Other times I was pleased that I had found the right way to do it.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:14 PM   #302
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I made a compromise, I put some plaid (2mm) near the woofer going all the way from side to side. This way I have no surfaces without any damping near the woofer, maybe the difference is too small to notice but I hope it will do no harm at least. The first picture show alternative damping with a little less at the top, not sure what is best. The filter is not fastened yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker22.jpg (88.8 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg speaker23.jpg (85.1 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg speaker24.jpg (92.2 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Starre; 10th December 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 04:48 AM   #303
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Since you need the most nice bass possible, you can start with #3, listen, if not content then through woofer hole reach can go #2 but with just one layer at the bottom, since the proto did not have a big crossover down and the damping wasn't coming up that high near the reflex with two layers. For top stuffing #2 & #3 look fine.
Old 11th December 2011, 10:24 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Ok, yes it gets a bit crowded at the bottom with 2 layers, the reflex tube is in contact with the damping just fitting above it. Maybe I should go with the alternative with more top stuffing to compensate for only one layer at the bottom which I think I will start with.

Last edited by Starre; 11th December 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12th December 2011, 04:07 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

I have installed the speaker terminals today, it took some care since the diameter is not the same from the inside and outside. But it worked out well, see pictures. I am sick at the moment so progress is slowed down, but now the only thing problematic is the choice of color, I have a test colored bit picutre taken with a mobile phone, I will try to post later. When ready to paint I will just pop the terminals out a little to get paint under them, and then secure them from the inside. Using this method with the bass reflex tube too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker25.jpg (99.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg speaker26.jpg (110.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 12th December 2011, 04:13 PM   #306
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Got the flu? Wishes to get well soon. As we humored before, the color is gonna be the only issue in the end. That's when the important stuff went smooth.
Old 12th December 2011, 04:23 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

Yeah I got that darned flu . Thanks for the well whishings Salas .
Old 12th December 2011, 07:03 PM   #308
diyAudio Member

Ok, here is a sample of the color I have tested. Hope you find it nice, but nothing is decided yet. I think it will contrast nicely with the black drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker27.jpg (291.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 12th December 2011, 11:45 PM   #309
speedie is offline speedie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Smile stuffing

hay starre
from your photos of the fill in those boxes it would appear that you are burning the midnight oil
2.30AM on the photo tag would indicate that this project has got you by the short and curlies

hope that you sort out the bass issues that are presenting to you
will be good to see your project completed to your satisfaction

with the newyear coming maybe a new project?
cheers speedie
Old 13th December 2011, 12:18 AM   #310
diyAudio Member

No worries speedie, i am just dedicated to get this one as good as I can. I think they deserve that, and Salas has been most helpful. I have no plans for a new project yet, but maybe I will. Since I got no response with the color i assume it is not liked, lol.

Hide this!Advertise here!