"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 10:55 AM   #291
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I just bought some color to test with on a piece of MDF board. It is a copper tone color, I will see if it is a disaster or success . My homage to copper, what would hifi be without it?
Old 8th December 2011, 11:21 AM   #292
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hmm, I hope it will not give odd results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coppertoneGR.jpg (39.3 KB, 300 views)
Old 8th December 2011, 11:35 AM   #293
diyAudio Member

LOL , I better post a picture of that sample before I go on with it, nice lady anyway.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:08 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

Back-to-front bracings are in place, drying. Next I will insert the crossover and damping material. Posting a picture tonight.
Old 9th December 2011, 06:51 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Bracings, fitting is good, ready for baffle. The lower bracing is turned 90 degrees to get closer to the woofer for stability. I should have put that side-to-side bracing higher but it will work anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker21.jpg (102.2 KB, 271 views)
Old 10th December 2011, 04:02 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Ok, I need some help here, this is the situation:
I bought a polyester/fleece plaid that is about 2mm thick. My plan is to use it on back and side panels to make a soft transition from the panels to the polyester padding I have used so far (se my pictures earlier). My experience is that when using 2 layers of polyester padding behind the woofer on the back panel it was too much (middle range got too sunk in) and one layer worked better. The side panels when bare gave a open sound, using one layer of the polyester padding sounded a little less open. So I thought if using the plaid on the side panels in double or 4 layers making it 4-8mm thick could do the trick (without more filling than that). Salas had a 3cm padding on side panels and back so I should not deviate too much from it. Of course I could use the exact same solution but the no damping on the sides sounding so open and that the woofer Q-value makes it not needing much damping got me thinking. Help appriciated!
Filter will be placed at the bottom with 2 layers of 3cm padding over it and between top bracing and top panel it will be filled like Salas did.

Last edited by Starre; 10th December 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10th December 2011, 04:10 PM   #297
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Haven't used secondary materials in that speaker, and I don't know the properties of polyester fleece in a speaker, so you are on your own in this one. Trials I guess.
Old 10th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Ok Salas. You used that 3cm filling on the sides all the way until it meets the baffle? It gets rather close to the membrane if so and only on the sides and not top/bottom of the membrane. Doesn´t it make the membrane to react non uniform?
Old 10th December 2011, 04:18 PM   #299
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It had about a fist's distance to the front panel.
Old 10th December 2011, 04:27 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

Ok then I understand. I will do the same.

Hide this!Advertise here!