"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Other wood material flexes too just has a different resonance, can be stiffer & lighter or not etc. MDF is not that bad neither excellent. Bracing, constrained layer damping, thin wall & loss via contact mass BBC, rigid school resin and/or metal based etc etc. are methods.

Yes, not the easiest thing to get controll over. I will try a few ribs at the back glued in place, not too big to destroy air flow but big enough to increase stability. Maybe it even might dissolve some of that backwave with its non-flat surface.

Last edited:
It seem ART from Scotland is using the same unit.Price 12500 GBP :Ohno:

One interesting aspect of that speaker is its weight: 40 kg!
It tells me something about that cabinet, probably very solid. I think the 8 inch woofer with its powerful magnet needs a very stable cabinet to shine.
I will add an extra bracing from front to back just below the woofer, I could hear some resonance there with music, and even feel it vibrate with me fingers. So 2 mods to do, one extra bracing and a few ribs at the back. I hope this will be good since after that I have no ambition to go on, and I don´t want to get smaller volume than that, might affect bass.

Salas, what do you think of using this foam I have on this panel? It is 2cm thick and I am considering using it at the back-panel between a few supporting ribs to dampen the back bounce, then use some of the usual white stuffing over it.
Same foam is on this panel:

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 209
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.