"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2011, 02:05 PM   #271
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Will try that and see what happens.
Old 29th November 2011, 08:45 AM   #272
alspe is offline alspe  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You will notice big influence by stuffing volume and technique. It will add virtual expansion of the box size and it will be damping mid-bass by more you stuff.
Driver has lowish Qts so level of mid bass here should be not too high. Low stuffing seems good idea?
Old 29th November 2011, 08:57 AM   #273
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes, its certainly not a densely stuffed speaker as it is.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:19 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

Been a little lazy lately due to many small problems. I am about to fix the stands making them a little lower and see how it affects sound, then when happy with the sound I will remove the drivers and fix the inside with fastening the damping material and fitting the front-to-back bracings. I have this idea of putting the lower one close to the woofer but with the shorter side (thinkness) facing upwards for good air flow and possibly best stability. Also I will round the edges to improve air flow. Best is probably a crossbrace made from one piece but that was not what I choose since I needed something simpler to fit. I bought a cheap fleece/polyester blanket that may function as a first layer of damping on the sides/top/bottom/back and then use what I now have inside over it where needed. The sides near the woofer seem to be fine with a thinner layer than elsewhere.
I have already soldered the cables from woofer/tweeter and that makes it a little tricky when installing the crossover, because when I remove the drivers to allow painting the cabinet and so on, I will be hard to solder them to the crossover board when installing them again (cabinet now "closed"). I could need some help how to do this the smartest way. I will put the crossover on the bottom panel since it is rather big.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:24 PM   #275
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terminal-Strip.JPG (13.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 1st December 2011, 06:32 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

Yes the obvious solution, but I like a direct connection for best sound, but I guess it is very hard if even possible to hear a difference.
Old 2nd December 2011, 06:53 AM   #277
diyAudio Member

Or I just solder them together insted of that plint. This weekend I will remove the drivers and fix the inside of the speakers, I will also shorten the stand about 3cm.
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:06 AM   #278
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Use Blu Tack between speakers and stands.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:46 AM   #279
diyAudio Member

Yes I will, or some rubber/plastic feet inbetween, I have had that until now.
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:08 AM   #280
alspe is offline alspe  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

one Finnish commercial speaker came to my mind of this Tired2way. It was like this, 2way with Dynaudio drivers, simple XO and enclosure tall for 2way.

---

Can you describe speaker how it can draw you into music? Not in hi-fi terms but do you enjoy listening music with it? Is it fun to listen or little bit of "hifi"? Which one of your speakers draws you more for listening your records?
I think it is easy to make mistake if you listen just parts of sound, some piece frequency response. You must listen music and evaluate drivers coherence and their phase if something in hifi terms. Playing of drummer, is it clear and easy to listen or incoherent and muddy...

Hide this!Advertise here!