"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2011, 06:13 PM   #261
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its like a scales. If you will make mid-bass more prominent, the mid is going to withdraw proportionally. I preferred the 2.5mH personally. I use 3.5dB baffle step correction in a stereo pair, the most. Some friends prefer more, I find it heavy in power response. If trying, I would do it with a bigger coil, either tapped down to 2.5mH, or unwinding and measuring mH until happy. Not by a fixed guess. Coil's DCR changes the final impression too. When your box is gonna be fully braced and glued, bass can be a tad more robust than now its more likely. And there is the room positioning and stands coupling/rigidity that ain't final yet I guess.
Old 24th November 2011, 06:18 PM   #262
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is what I suspected. It will be a good balance as it is, thanks.
Old 24th November 2011, 06:23 PM   #263
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Treated paper cones are great all rounders, but if it was a 3 way, hard synthetic or metal bass cones could be used and they would present more ''kick'' down low due to their rigidity, but they usually ring in the background if used for wider spectrum.
Old 24th November 2011, 06:35 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I know that some do not find paper cones and silc domes "high tech" enough, but to me they give a natural sound. The M20 is not cold sounding like you could believe, but I have never liked the tweeter 100% (aluminium).
Old 24th November 2011, 06:43 PM   #265
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Rigid stands, correct coupling and total height, your remaining braces and front baffle final fixing they will help you further I hope. Its not a finished build we should remember.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:48 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Yes Salas, I will try to optimize as far as possible . I also think that when coming from one speaker to another, you have to remember that both have their fortes and none is perfect, it is always some compromizes involved. But since they sound so good you get picky and want it to be as good as it can be.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:43 AM   #267
speedie is offline speedie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default interested

star
can you post some more snaps of your project
i would be interested to see the finished product
cheers speedie
Old 26th November 2011, 09:21 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

Sure, when it is ready.
Old 28th November 2011, 02:11 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Salas, since you use 3.5dB BSC it is probably a good idea to have the speakers closer to back wall than with 6dB. How close is it possible, I think of the 1st reflex from the back wall, I have read that you should have about 1,7 m difference in sound path comparing direct and 1st reflex to avoid any smearing (from a side wall for example). Is it less sensitive when it comes to the back wall since most of the sound is going forward (middle- and treble range)?
Old 28th November 2011, 02:21 PM   #270
diyAudio Chief Moderator

6dB creates heavy power response in nodal region from a stereo pair, that's my experience. Go as near to wall as you don't feel it starts smearing the mids.

Hide this!Advertise here!