"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Listening

I have listened to some Liszt piano music today and can report it sounds just fine. Less disturbing colorations from the cabinets and it sounds clean over all. Of course it is not perfect but it is a clear improvement. So Dufus, I am pleased with it.
If I had not already built it, I would have choosen to use plywood instead of MDF because it is stiffer and need less bracing to sound good if I am not wrong.
Well that is all for now, I am going outside enjoying nature and the water watching wild life and taking a nice walk :).

More changes.

I was not quite satisfied with the extra bracing (still some panel distorsion) so I put in another 25mm round rod and glued it together with the first one from side to side. This made all the difference, it is now almost completely dead, could this be heard when listening? You bet! Midrange detail is much better! I really recommend anyone to carefully listen to side panels on speakers to be sure it is not making any sound, it makes a big difference! Even the bass seem a little more detailed.
Before I put the woofer back I also added a little more damping on the back wall opposite the woofer to try it out now when the panels are dead. I am not 100% sure if I will keep it but it makes the sound a little more controlled, but maybe too controlled to make it boring? I will keep this for now and listen a long time before I decide if it will stay.
Making this speaker, I have learned alot and it has certainly been fun!

Sorry I have none, but I can explain where it is. If you look at the woofer from the front, the bracing is in line with the two bottom screws of it (one step up from the single screw 6 o´clock so to speak), that would be four and eight o´clock. It is about 2cm from the magnet of the woofer in depth, almost at the middle of the panel. the 2 rods are placed behind eachother seen from the woofer into the cabinet.
This worked for my cabinet, but depending on where the other 2 braces are placed, just put it where it makes the sides as stiff as possible, you can knock on the panel and listen where it is best placed.

Last edited:
Yes, here it is:

Attachments

• tiredbox2.jpg
    tiredbox2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 258
Yes, I had to cut the rods in two with a little angle to the cut to be able to get it in place and remove a little damping material to get to the wood of the side panels. The lower bracing was a bit lower in my speakers than your drawing, Salas, so the extra bracing is probably even more effective in my case.

Improved stability for stands.

I have investigated an easy way to improve my stands for this speaker.
I found a stone plate that fits and bought 4 of them today. I will use this on the lower part of the stands to make them heavier. My stands are rather stiff but has low weight, so this might help. Reporting later with a picture and how it sounds!

Everything matters...

Adding some weight to the stands and the bass is very different: faster, tighter and deeper and cleaner. Some of the "fleshy" sound is gone and now more tight and fast. Probably a more "correct" bass. Sounds promising!
I can still hear a few side panel sounds I would like to get rid of, but how to do that is nothing I master at the moment. That might be the last bit of the puzzle to get it right. Anyhow the bass is transformed, hopefully I like it in the long run.
The stone plates are 175x350x5 mm. I added a small front panel making the stones invisible from listening position, not very good looking :D.

Attachments

• speaker42.jpg
    speaker42.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 228
  • speaker41.jpg
    speaker41.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.