"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it takes to dump a pile of power on a small speaker just to ''bring it up right'' its not best practice. I wonder how much a best materials 25-33mm voice coil can take in the end. I have witnessed a Magico Mini II going poof after its owner took its power rating literally and listened long loud sessions in a rather big room having an active subwoofer even, but no HPF for the Mini.

While we are talking about power.... I have been thinking about upgrading my amplifier. What I currently have was a great deal for the price I paid at a close out sale. It is a Harmon Kardon AVR247. Great for playing movies in Theater Mode, but in my opinion lacks a lot when doing any kind of critical listening in stereo mode.

I once had a Linn Majik, and I think it sounded great, but could become a little fatigueing after listening for a long time. It was only 33 watts per channel at 8ohms.

Some of the best things I have heard were a Classe' CAP 200 and matching Classe' preamp that my Dad had. Wow, talk about transparrent. I don't have that kind of money to spend though. We auditioned Spectral Mono Blocks, and that was probably the best system I have ever heard, but again the price was too much.

Questoin here is, how do you think the Tired 2 Way would do with a First Watt F5, or maybe an Audio Sector LM3875? These are not very high powered amps, but my experience with the Linn that I had leads me to believe that Wattage is not a good indicator of how the amp will perform. To have a very clean signal path, that has a more than ample power supply seems to me to be the things that produce that authoratative bass and deep soundstage. Are the Tired 2 Ways efficient enough to be driven well with a low powered amp? My living room is a little less than 250 sq.feet.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I like Spectral amps also. I had listened to the Tired2W with gainclone and they go well together. It needs 40-50W @ 8 Ohm nominal with good peak capability as a satisfactory minimum and 35-40dB system voltage gain above a modern line level source.

That makes sense. The "u" represents the decimal point, I get it. I am just learning to read this stuff, and I feel like I am learning another language, and begining to recover some math skills that I haven't had to use for a long time. It's funny, because I teach an accounting unit at the college where I work -this a whole different kind of math though!

I am glad that Dad taught me how to solder. I remember a mono-FM radio kit gifted to me on my 8th Birthday.

Great info on the gainclone, now I know what I am looking for. That style of amplifier appears to me to be more simple to build than a class a.

Thank you Salas :)

AlexQS

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That was an expensive "poof", omg :(

Left channel woofer burned and got stuck in the gap. Don't know how much a woofer from such an expensive stand mount can cost to replace, maybe some k$ given the retail price of the pair, maybe not, depends on manufacturer's policy. They could be choosing to cover under warranty. Its recommended for 50-250W amps and the guy used a Spectral DMA-260S 225W @ 8 Ohm with MIT cables. So he did not do anything not officially recommended.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those are Harman, aren't they? They have Audax, JBL, and who knows what Asian own resources for custom drivers. Surely costs are low due to private resources. Tech is high though. That group has them almost all important research guys and facilities needed.

I agree that they have big resources in research and facilities, and I have heard Revel speakers sounding great many times. In my system they sound just fine most of the time but I prefer the Tired2way. I know the match speaker/amp is important to get it 100% right. I am sure the new owner of my M20 can get great results, I will ask later which amp he is using.

Progress

I have some progress today, on building my own pair of tired 2 ways. This is my first speaker build.

For anyone thinking of doing this, I was able to get all material out of one 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" MDF. I know that HomeDepot will not cut as precise as I needed, so I got them in sizes larger, so that I could cut them to exact spec myself. I got 4 pieces 10" x 16", 4 pieces 12" x 30", and 4 pieces 16" x 30". It barely fit, and it may have been a touch smaller... but the HomeDepot guy got it to all fit on one sheet of wood, and all 12 pieces easily fit in my small car.

I was worried, because my fence can only be put about 61cm (24 inches) away from the blade (the table on the saw isn't wide enough). Today, I had to build a makeshift table, set it next to my table-saw, and clamp a fence to it to get the long length 71cm. With the help of my wife, to stand on the feet of the table, so it didn't move, we managed to keep it square, and even more importantly all 4 front/back panels and all 4 side panels are exactly the same length. :p

I will be stalled in my progress, because rather than buy my own router, my friend who has one can help me with the circles on front baffle. He's out of town for a few weeks though.

I can tell you that getting glue on all the pieces, then getting them to stand on end, square up to the edges, and clamp them…. It helps to have another set of hands. Tomorrow we’ll put glue sides and top of the other cabinet, and clamp that one up for a day as well.

I was thinking to rabbit and daddo the top to the sides, but I changed my mind, as it was seeming too easy to make an error for a novice like me. I just butted them like you did Stare.

Did you use screws as well, or just glue??

Attachments

• t2w photo 1.JPG
    t2w photo 1.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I used dowels to keep it in place since I have only 2 hands, lol. Then I only glued it no screws. Looking good, I would recommend to place the bracings exactly as in Salas drawing, I did it a little different with the lower bracing but I think that was not better so stick to the original.

Had 2 friends over yesterday, and they agreed it now sounds better than with my Revel, altough they had some reservations about the sound one about the bass beeing a little stiff. I am sure they need to play more to settle, they have not that many hours playing in total. I have played every day but not that many hours. Thye agreed that the tweeter is very good ( I love it). I was glad they approved of it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.