"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2011, 05:28 PM   #221
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Ok, I will report what I hear.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:38 PM   #222
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

How you plan to hear only the bass port without hearing sounds from the woofer? One ear you will cover I suppose, but pen like measurement mics they stick them right in the port's mouth plane.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:55 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Yeah I will try to cover one ear, but I am not sure it will work, giving it a try .
Old 17th November 2011, 07:13 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Ok now I have tried to listen to the port, and I think it worked rather good after getting used to listen to it. I found some interesting things! First, I have sound from 18Hz which I think is rather remarkable, maybe it is not but to me it was .
Starting at 18Hz it was of course very weak (a 1- on "my" scale) but easy to hear with the ear at the port. Moving upwards to 30Hz, it was quite even and increasing all the way, and suddenly at around 30Hz I heard some sound from the woofer itself, not only the port (it was no sound from the woofers front below 30Hz). Now we are talking 2 on my scale. From 30Hz reaching 39Hz the level is now 3 at 39Hz. Going upwards it increase to 3+ starting at 42Hz to 48Hz. The contribution from the membrane has also increased and is easier to hear than before. 48-57Hz is a little weaker, a 3 on my scale but since the membrane is more active now the total sound is a 4 or even 4+ (around 50Hz).
Ok hope you are still with me on this little trip .
From 57 all the way to 71 the bass port is increasing rather much to its maximum at 71Hz. Over 71Hz it gets weaker with values 3 and 3+ (up and down and so on) to about 100Hz.
What I do not like is the big maximum at 71Hz, it was loud both from the membrane and port . Otherwise it seems fine .
Now the question is, is it possible to get rid of that peak?
Old 18th November 2011, 12:15 AM   #225
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Try 71Hz at listening position and move the speakers a little in the front to back axis maybe? Because I see a small suck out at 71Hz in the RTA I took in another room. That's at odds. See if it hits a room node.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:21 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Yes I will try that to start with, but I am rather sure it comes from the speaker itself. I will try it to be sure.

Last edited by Starre; 18th November 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 18th November 2011, 08:29 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

I have now tried to move the speakers +-10cm from back wall and it was a rather small change with respect to the 71Hz tube peak (more that it move a few Hz up or down). I also tried to extend the reflex tube to 150mm (from 135mm) but I heard lower output in the 30Hz band which was not better, so I guess going this direction might be a bad idea (I will not try even longer tube since I had this result, and since you Salas set it to 135mm, correct decision?).
I heard from listening position that the 71Hz peak from the tube is not so peaky at the actual listening positions total sound, so that was a comfort. I also heard that with a 150mm port I got a dip at 72Hz from the tube. Comments on all this, Salas?
Old 18th November 2011, 08:39 PM   #228
diyAudio Chief Moderator

We had tuned the port in a given room, there it went 135mm. Maybe 130mm & 140mm test in your space for customizing it, if feasible with the telescopic ones you got?
Old 18th November 2011, 08:48 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Ok, I think the shortest lenght is about 130mm so I can try that. It is 66mmwide with the telescope part a little wider. My room is 3.8m wide and about 7.3m length. Do you remember the room size you had?
Old 18th November 2011, 08:51 PM   #230
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Must be 50m2 including a fully open kitchen annex to its left side, with the main living space maybe 35m2 rectangle.

Hide this!Advertise here!