"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a speaker made for music at home, voiced with tubes and vinyl in a real medium size living room, not offending the tastes of two persons, on a down to earth budget. Should serve you well. Well done in repeating it, looks much better than the first in its ''tired'' used box, have long and nice sessions with it.

Best

Now everything is ready, I modifies the stands a little to suit the speakers. Posting a bigger picture of it, hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 340
Improvements.

I listen to some music last night and beeing curious I put my ear to the side panel. I noticed sometimes you hear some rather nasty resonance from it, so maybe I should put another bracing from side to side. I know that I have put the lower bracing a bit lower than in Salas "original", so maybe this is the "problem" with my speakers. I do not know how much difference it would make with the extra bracing (I think it will be most effective near the center of the side panel, It seems to be the least damped part when I knock on it). I am not sure yet if this resonating side panel is something you actually hear at the listening position, I will investigate that. It will also not be very easy to put a new bracing into place now , maybe I can solve that.

Last edited:
I have been listening and thinking and I can´t hear anything problematic really, so I should probably leave it as it is. The sound is a little more transparent now, the drivers and filters matures the more I play. I found a room dependent side reflex that you could hear sometimes destroying female vocals (Agneta from the band "ABBA" made this problem obvious , I have damped the side walls at the first reflex and it seem to work. She has a little strident voice higher up in register. Listened to some David Bowie classics and it was very clear how transparent the speakers are.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ABBA was superb, genius POP, just listen to ''Dancing Queen'' and realize how only a couple of piano notes bring the vivacity of the described young disco queen scene to mind. Fältskog is particularly pushing her pitch there sometimes.

Lol no, I made them myself, very easy construction, I will post a picture later on. I am actually trying to make that living room more suited for music listening, need to get some paintings and so on. Make it work good for music without making it looking like a music studio, a hard balance act indeed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.