"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2011, 10:49 AM   #141
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dufus for the info, I am massaging it now with some electro disco!
Old 8th November 2011, 11:10 AM   #142
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is it really lighter than it should be as for now, or you just want the mids a bit recessed? What kind of music you mainly listen to?
Old 8th November 2011, 11:51 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Salas, I listen to all kinds of music, classical, rock, pop, jazz. I am a pianist so I often use piano music as a reference. I think the bass sounds a bit scaled down and dry compared with what I am used to, I guess I want a little more "flesh". It is mostly when listening to pop/rock and not so much listening to classical music. I will post a picture tonight from the inside of the speaker.
This is the coil I use for the bass:JANTZEN-2005 - Jantzen Wire non-ferrite cored coil 2,500mH 0,268Ohm 1,20mm - Europe Audio
It doesn´t look like that in reality, it is the high coil I use (ealier picture).
The RDC is a little lower than a 2mm air coil from what I know but it should be a very small difference.

Last edited by Starre; 8th November 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:59 AM   #144
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Starre, I also play piano. I think it is a very important and satisfying instrument to get a loudspeaker to reproduce faithfully.I think you will find that most of this happens above 100Hz and not below. It is therefore susceptible to problems of midrange balance, and room placement. The 'weight' is around the 150-300Hz region.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:02 PM   #145
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hmm. There was a 2mm air coil we used. Anyway, I think that ultimately you will need to choose a precise coil value for your ears, room, and system by listening. If there is a way they make you a multi tap coil with 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3mH taps you will be a happy man.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:04 PM   #146
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Starre, I also play piano. I think it is a very important and satisfying instrument to get a loudspeaker to reproduce faithfully.I think you will find that most of this happens above 100Hz and not below. It is therefore susceptible to problems of midrange balance, and room placement. The 'weight' is around the 150-300Hz region.
That may mean closer to wall to get luck before tampering with the diffraction step coil.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:09 PM   #147
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Absolutely. If the speaker is voiced well then the room should be looked at first.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:11 PM   #148
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Starre, can we have a picture from listening position of the pair as located now in room?
Old 8th November 2011, 12:12 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

I will try to make the cabinet more sealed, I have the baffle on wooden plugs right now so maybe it leaks too much air making the bass weaker, how much does a leak affect sound, anyone with experience?
Old 8th November 2011, 12:16 PM   #150
diyAudio Chief Moderator

In a bass reflex too much. A simple test is you push back the woofer with one hand first, and you press with your other palm the port's mouth sealed the best you can. If you leave now the woofer alone, it should remain sucked in if there are no leaks.

Hide this!Advertise here!