"Tired2way" speaker building. - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2011, 11:03 AM   #131
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

When you will have it 100% well put together, woofer suspensions worked in more, and perched on proper height stands as mentioned on the original sketch, you should move it around to hit best synergism with room nodes and front wall distance reinforcement. If you will not find the ''perfect'' tonal balance by then, the 2.5mH coil is mostly influential on how much mids to bass proportion you have in room. Higher value, will gradually recess the mids and bring bass to relief. Takes a multi tap with taps between 2.5 to 3mH and will be custom coil and tiresome evaluation procedure though. I wish you will get very good balance by room positioning foremostly. Your now value should be sufficient and it does not create artificial ''loudness'' effect. Still some prefer a bit of mids recession in home listening. Depends on the character of the source and electronics also. Another technique is to extend the bass reflex port little by little in length. Say 1cm steps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiredBox.jpg (56.6 KB, 569 views)
Old 4th November 2011, 11:12 AM   #132
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

In fact the bass port is a little longer than "yours" at the moment since it was most practical with my port mounting (it is not glued/screewed yet with the telescope part locking it into place from the inside (it is a telescope construction with approx 120-240mm possible setting).
Old 4th November 2011, 11:19 AM   #133
diyAudio Chief Moderator

So its a loose situation yet. If the reflex ain't steady on the box you can't know about final sound. But don't cut up the length final yet, nice its telescopic so to use it as tuning aid later in room. The shorter, more upper bass output, the longer more lower bass, but it can withdraw bass presence, which mainly resides above 100Hz.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:25 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Yes everything is up to taste, next step will be how to fill the box, I know you have it on your drawing above but I wonder, do I nead anything more than the polyester wool I have? I have about 2,5 times more of it than what I showed inside the box (se picture earlier post). Some use bitumen sheets and dampling felt, do I need it?
Old 4th November 2011, 11:33 AM   #135
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Bitumen is to control wall resonances, mainly effective on thin wall real wood boxes. The BBC school. Not effective on your construction. You will notice big influence by stuffing volume and technique. It will add virtual expansion of the box size and it will be damping mid-bass by more you stuff. First put the pair on stands, find a nice positioning that sounds about right, and then start fine tuning techniques. It will be a fun and learning experience. Leave crossover tweaking as last resort. Since its the costlier and takes gear to be pretty sure. But I am confident you are to find many different ''voices'' by positioning first since you are on a very early stage of makeshift listening.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:40 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Yes this will be fun . I will try to get some stand for them as soon as possible.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:28 AM   #137
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi,

how's the performances now? looking forward for further impressions
nice project!

cheers
henry
Old 7th November 2011, 10:04 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Hi henry, the bass is not as it should be right now but it is all my fault lol. I have made stands for them which I tried yesterday and it works quite well but maybe I will shorten them a little later (35cm right now). Today after work I will fix the bass reflex tube which is about 2 cm too long (I measured it yesterday) and is probably the cause of my shy bass (deep but withdrawn). Otherwise I am positiv and believe I will be very pleased in the end. After the tube is shortened I will try to put some more polyester stuff inside, it is rather empty right now. But first I will listen what the shortening of the tube makes before altering anything else.
Old 8th November 2011, 06:44 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

I have shortened the bass tube to 13,5cm but the difference was small when it comes to bass output. I then tried some more polyester filling and it helped the sound a little, I also moved the speakers closer to the back wall which also helped (about 70cm). I will let them play like this for a few days to see what I have got. Now I think the amount of filling is close to what Salas used and the port lenght is also according to that.
Old 8th November 2011, 09:12 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

That seas unit will take some massage to sound best.

Hide this!Advertise here!