Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2011, 11:24 AM   #111
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I too used cable ties for attaching my coils (and caps) to my crossover board. The vertically mounted coils I only used a single one. They are not that sturdy, but they aren't going to fall off either Cable ties are quite strong! you can see fairly well in this pic of the partially constructed crossover. The link I posted earlier has the fully completed board where you can see the cable ties on the caps as well.

Black cable ties are the ones holding to the board, white ones are the ones I used to hold the coils together after I wound them.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9461.jpg (174.8 KB, 594 views)
Old 1st November 2011, 11:41 AM   #112
Starre is offline Starre  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Tony, that looks nice, but I am too lazy right now and getting eager to hear them play, so I will just use a little glue so I can move the board and start playing. Easy to remove with a razor blade knife. I really like the looks of my white capacitors and I do not think that glue of mine will destroy them in any way, it is rather flexible.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:31 PM   #113
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is the blue capacitor 33uF indeed?
Old 1st November 2011, 02:02 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Yes it is, it is a little simpler cap compaired to the rest, the white ones do not exist in that big capacitance value. But it is the same type of capacitor, not bipolar. http://www.europe-audio.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=8501
The white ones are bigger, for example the 10uF is bigger than the blue Jantzen 33uF as seen in my pictures.

Last edited by Starre; 1st November 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 1st November 2011, 07:59 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

I am dubious about what is + and - on my tweeter, can someone help me?
I find this marking on the left terminal, see pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tweeter.jpg (96.6 KB, 585 views)
Old 1st November 2011, 08:17 PM   #116
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Normally the wider lug is positive. If you will use a 1.5V battery cell on the driver and you will watch from the side, you will see the dome move slightly out when (+) is connected the right way.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:29 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Ok, the terminals looks to be the same size to me, so I will try the battery test.
I have glued the crossover but it need to dry so the soldering will be done tomorrow . I also discovered I did not have a wire cutter (forgotten at work) to remove excessive wire so I will relax tonight and complete it tomorrow.
One question Salas, I have read somewhere that when haveing a second order butterworth filter (which your filter reminds me of) + and - should not be the same for woofer/tweeter. Did you try this?
Old 1st November 2011, 08:59 PM   #118
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That's textbook analysis for electrical, no acoustic slope phase or Z plane emitting distances taken into account. If you will reverse polarity you will get some null in this one. If the terminals are same width then the mark (any color) should be (+) logically, but do the battery test for the sake of sanity.
Old 1st November 2011, 09:18 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Ok, interesting to know. I will do the test to be sure what I have.
Old 2nd November 2011, 05:20 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

The filter is ready (se picture), next step after dinner is to solder some connection cables, put some stuffing in the cabinets just to start with and insert the reflex port. It is safe doing this right? I know it will not be 100% sealed everywhere since I got a removable baffle with wooden plugs, but I can´t damage anything right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filterklar.jpg (161.8 KB, 553 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!