in-room frequency response & transient response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(in his paper on the acoustic suspension method) Villchur says that uniformity of frequency response is an index of transient response.

So consider first of all a theoretical speaker system that has flat anechoic frequency response. Then put that speaker system in a room and the measured frequency response at a some point away from the speaker including reflections from the room is no longer flat. Does this mean that the transient response of the reproduction by the speaker system in the room has been degraded?

Further, if active equalization is used to make the frequency response of the speaker system in-room flat, does this mean that transient response of the reproduction has been restored to optimum.

Also I was wondering if the change of transient response with frequency response is significant, that is, if it would be very noticeable in listening to music.

These are just my theoretical musings that I'm curious about. -Hope that others find this interesting.

-Pete

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's hard to ignore the time delay of the reflections, this is a component of diffractions as well. EQing can have only limited influence and I think there is some good inormation on the perception of time delayed versions of a signal at various time delays to be found on this site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.