3 way sealed loudspeaker design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2003, 07:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3 way sealed loudspeaker design

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the design for a 3 way sealed loudspeaker. It needs to have a curve +/- 3db from 50Hz to 18Khz, have an 8 ohm nominal impedance, and handle 100W.

Perhaps you could provide me with good reading material and software? I'd rather have the actual modeling equations.

Thanks
-David
Old 5th September 2003, 01:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Download WinISD (just do a search)

Model the Peerless 850146 in a closed box.

Mid/tweeter? Maybe something safe like the Vifa P13/D27.

Low cost. Pretty much foolproof in a sealed box with that combo.

best of luck.

Mos
Old 5th September 2003, 02:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Peerless 146 sealed box approx 66 litres plays very low in room with useful output below 30 Hz. Active xover it if poss. I have sounds wonderful. Only downside is that xovered at 300hz does not match detail on a W15cy001 lowering xover to 150hz gave a more detailed sound. Getting the Excel 10" would solve this but has less xmax so not as good at just bass. But with a p13/d27 combo instead of a w15/ssd2905/95 your not going to run into trouble.

Appart from going subwoof your not going to find a better bass speaker, not unless someone can point me in the direction of a better speaker around the same price with better specs. I know about the 727, but from what ive heard it doesnt bottom out as gracefully as the 146.

The vifa mid/bass is also very good easy to work with.
Old 5th September 2003, 05:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi 5th

Two questions:

How much excursion are you getting from that 146 in 66ls at higher power levels?

Did you have to mess around with the damping a lot and what did you end up with?

Mos
Old 5th September 2003, 07:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am also planning CSX 10" in a sealed 60L cabinette with XO 150Hz...(active) but I do have same concern regarding cone excursion at high power levels - what is your experince 5th element ? Do you use subsonic filter ?

LageB
Old 6th September 2003, 05:21 AM   #6
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Default Re: 3 way sealed loudspeaker design

Quote:
Originally posted by dih1118
Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the design for a 3 way sealed loudspeaker. It needs to have a curve +/- 3db from 50Hz to 18Khz, have an 8 ohm nominal impedance, and handle 100W.

Perhaps you could provide me with good reading material and software? I'd rather have the actual modeling equations.

Thanks
-David
try this...
Drivers for first speakers

also why are you concerned with a 3way. 3 way XOs are more diffcult to get right. i wold look at a 2.5 way. better still a push push 2.5 way using say 2 6-7" woofers and a nice 1". the 2 woofers could then be in a TL. dave (planet 10) got me addicted to this concept. now i consider it to be the best simple sytem one can build. only thing is that the boxes are usually too large for rear channels.
Old 9th September 2003, 04:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. Sorry, but the design will be a 3 way sealed enclosure.

Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper setup the Peerless/Vifa/Vifa? I was trying to keep the speakers under $100 per enclosure.

Also, does anyone one have any suggestions for the crossover points and type? I was thinking about using 3rd order filters, but I've been reading that the filter with the highest slope may not be the optimal solution.

Thanks
Old 10th September 2003, 04:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

TTT - anyone?
Old 10th September 2003, 04:35 AM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
dont limit yourself.

1. 3 ways is not nesscarily better than 2 way or 2.5 way or 4 way

2. Why 3rd order XOs? The XO depends on the drivers involved

look at the solution not a particular technology
Old 10th September 2003, 05:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

3 way is what I want do, and is the design I'm interested in. Is their an easier and better way - probably. But I want to do a 3 way enclosure.

Could you point me to a website that will help determine the proper order and cutoff frequency for the crossover?

Hide this!Advertise here!