Drivers for 3-way stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm new to this home music/theater area and am looking for some drivers to build a 3-way stereo system. I've used Dynaudio speakers in my cars and liked the sounds of the lows and drums. So any woofers could reproduce solid and strong bass would be great. As for midrange, I'd like to have the smooth and sweetness of the vocals. And for the highs, not so much bright please.

- Woofers: 8inch or under. Single on each side. Under $75 each.
- Midranges: if sealed would be great. Under $45 each.
- Highs: Under $25 each.

If they cost less would be great :). I'll be running these 2 speakers with a Rotel receiver 75 watts per channel. Thank you all for your help and I really appreciate it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you considered buying a kit type speaker where someone has already done the dirty work for you? You still get to build the box but the tough stuff has been looked after by someone who has the tools and the know how. You might be biting off more than you can chew if you start from scratch. It can be more than a little tricky.

It's that a bookshelf/standmount or a floorstanding. The classic question (bookshelf vs floorstanding speakers). And size of room also important to understand the concept of the design.
Troels 3W-Classic, CA22RNX+MCA12RC+27TFFC
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm
More important for a speaker, is that you like "the voice of the" mid. So, you should start here first.
Look at the price here.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...tige-mca12rc-h1304-4.5-coated-paper-midrange/

iT'S ALL about compromise, so if looking at the money you have, I would be matching a 3-way with similar drivers to what would be found in a sales priced. Focus on the mid first anyway...
Eton 7-372 / 7" HEXACONE Woofer - Sale Price: $135.00
for lower freq.<150Hz
or
Aurasound NS8-385-4A 8" Woofer - Sale Price: $19.50

Fostex FW137 5.5" Woofer Shielded - Sale Price: $29.00
for mid. freq 150Hz<freq.<1500Hz
or
Hi-Vi L5-8R 5" Woven Kevlar Cone Woofer - Price: $21.15

Peerless TC6FD00-04 2" Full Range - Price: $9.60
for higher freq. as a tweeter (a la/look at Linkwitz Plutos)
or
Audax TW025A1-12X9 1" Textile dome - Price: $32.05
They also have as a service: Order a Madisound Crossover Design.
And of course the drivers need to be matched between frequencies with/between crossover points.

Last edited:
Have you considered buying a kit type speaker where someone has already done the dirty work for you? You still get to build the box but the tough stuff has been looked after by someone who has the tools and the know how. You might be biting off more than you can chew if you start from scratch. It can be more than a little tricky.
Rotel receiver 75 watts per channel
Yes, Rotels deserve some Harbeths anyway.
Harbeth Monitor 40 by Bob Neill
or Dynaudios.;)
http://www.gattiweb.com/dynaudio.html
LOOK AT BOTTOM OF THE PAGE FOR A 3-WAY (Xennon3)

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi inductor. I assume your question is from the point of view of each of the two threads? Per this thread, the OP wants strong bass, smooth vocals and tame highs, and a Mach one done Geddes style looks like one way to get this, or just epay one.

WRT the crossover frequency of 800Hz, this is the region where a 15" beams by around the right amount to match a typical horn.

Hi inductor. I assume your question is from the point of view of each of the two threads? Per this thread, the OP wants strong bass, smooth vocals and tame highs, and a Mach one done Geddes style looks like one way to get this, or just epay one.

WRT the crossover frequency of 800Hz, this is the region where a 15" beams by around the right amount to match a typical horn.
I understand your point, question is poster is asking for a 8" or <.;)
Woofers: 8inch or under. Single on each side

Thank you all for your replies and advice. And sorry for the double post. The speakers are for a bedroom with 10' x 12' x 8' heigh. So it would be nice if I could make it as small as possible without compromising the sound quality and do not have to use a subwoofer.

I've been looking into the HiVi F8 8" and Dayton Audio RS225-8 8" for woofers. I was being offered a pair of Peerless 830491 for $120 but I don't know much about them. If anyone could advice me on those Peerless, I would appreciate it. As for midranges, maybe Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 2" Dome Midrange or HiVi F5. As for highs, it would be Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 or ND20FB.

...As for midranges, maybe Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 2" Dome Midrange or HiVi F5. As for highs, it would be Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 or ND20FB.
I can see that you didn't like the Fostex idea, any problem with that driver?
Your option of the HiVi F5, that looks like a great driver from looks, as a mid, is that it's not a ruler flat frequency response driver, maybe because it should not be used as such, after 800Hz.
Overview of F5 Drivers_HiVi,Inc

Anyway, people say that they are impressed with this driver in/for 2-Ways.
HiVi F5 5" Bass/Midrange 297-435

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.