ThriftstoreScore Infinity RS6000's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lucked out today...Pair of RS6000's at the Goodwill store = $39.99
I must have been the first audiophile to walk in this morning !! cabinets are a little bruised up, but the driver sing like their just broke in. The (gray) foam surrounds are in great shape & I'm wondering how much longer I can keep them that way I know the fastest way to ruin them is by constantly pushing them (which I'll only do on occasion) Is there any
way to treat the foam (brush on liquid silicone) or something wiser to use on the current surrounds to prolong them ?
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Lucked out today...Pair of RS6000's
The (gray) foam surrounds are in great shape Is there any
way to treat the foam (brush on liquid silicone) or something wiser to use on the current surrounds to prolong them ?

Nothing really works to prolong their life, except maybe to keep them in the dark in an air tight nitrogen atmosphere. They aren't difficult or expensive to replace, anyway.

These?
RS6000-5.jpg

That's a sweet deal! Fixing the foam wouldn't be too difficult, and there are a lot of people who can do it if you're not feeling up to it when the time comes.

Dan

I must have been the first audiophile to walk in this morning !! cabinets are a little bruised up, but the driver sing like their just broke in. The (gray) foam surrounds are in great shape & I'm wondering how much longer I can keep them that way I know the fastest way to ruin them is by constantly pushing them (which I'll only do on occasion) Is there any
Thanks in advance...
They actually r RS6000's...

These?
RS6000-5.jpg

That's a sweet deal! Fixing the foam wouldn't be too difficult, and there are a lot of people who can do it if you're not feeling up to it when the time comes.

Dan

Those are the ones...have you owned a pair ? It looks like all thought went into the drivers & array of. Cabinets are banged up, gives me the opportunity to build some nice cabinets for them this winter The volume of them does not seem appropriate for dual 10 in woofs' specs' are
given @ 42hz-48khz Seems to me they could put out a respectable 36hz
given some thought on cabinet size... any thoughts on this ?

Those are the ones...have you owned a pair ? It looks like all thought went into the drivers & array of. Cabinets are banged up, gives me the opportunity to build some nice cabinets for them this winter The volume of them does not seem appropriate for dual 10 in woofs' specs' are
given @ 42hz-48khz Seems to me they could put out a respectable 36hz
given some thought on cabinet size... any thoughts on this ?

I like the shape of these if you can do the fabrication:
Morel Loudspeakers - Home Audio - Fatlady Project

Dan

Thanks in advance...

I have a 22 year old pair of Infinity SM-120's. About five years ago I noticed the woofer foam surrounds were cracked and rotting. The dust-covers of the woofers, mids, and tweeters were getting very close to dry rotting. You could almost wipe off the raised Infinity symbols when you ran a finger over the dust-covers. I replaced the foam surrounds on the woofers, and out of desperation I treated the foam dust covers with some Armor-All spay. (the kind that looks like skim milk). The Armor-All did no harm physically or sound wise, and seemed to bring back the dust-covers to almost their original condition. Since then I have made it a habit to spay the dust covers twice a year and they have stayed soft and pliable.

I have a 22 year old pair of Infinity SM-120's. About five years ago I noticed the woofer foam surrounds were cracked and rotting. The dust-covers of the woofers, mids, and tweeters were getting very close to dry rotting. You could almost wipe off the raised Infinity symbols when you ran a finger over the dust-covers. I replaced the foam surrounds on the woofers, and out of desperation I treated the foam dust covers with some Armor-All spay. (the kind that looks like skim milk). The Armor-All did no harm physically or sound wise, and seemed to bring back the dust-covers to almost their original condition. Since then I have made it a habit to spay the dust covers twice a year and they have stayed soft and pliable.

I used your advice, I brushed it on w/ a soft artist brush it absorbed the
Armor All (woofer foam surrounds & dust cover) Shined the propylene cones up quite nice too ! I do expect them to last a long time - if not, will let everybody know...
Thanks
I just finished listening to Steve Morse: "High Tension Wires" @ around 100 + watts -Beautiful !

Last edited:
I used your advice, I brushed it on w/ a soft artist brush it absorbed the
Armor All (woofer foam surrounds & dust cover) Shined the propylene cones up quite nice too ! I do expect them to last a long time - if not, will let everybody know...
Thanks
I just finished listening to Steve Morse: "High Tension Wires" @ around 100 + watts -Beautiful !
Edit... After brushing on & waiting about (5 hours) the foam surrounds feel closer to a (rubber) I think this was very good advice if anyone else comes across older (foam surrounds) that are still in good shape.
Thanks 95sonoma

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.