Speaker phase issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of M & K SX-7 which are essentially the same as Minimus 7. Something just doesn't sound right. When in centre of them, they sound out of phase. Possibly somebody has had them apart and has reversed the wiring. I am able to check the woofers with a 1.5 volt battery. Can I do the same with the tweeter? Will I feel movement? If not, How should I check the phasing issue?

A great way to check phasing full range is to put the units face to face and then connect them intentionally out of phase. Feed in pink noise or FM interstation hiss. If the are properly connected they will strongly cancel across the frequency range. You want the tweeters very near each other for this to work best (say within an inch.) Reverse one system so that they are back in phase and the sound should be dramatically louder.

If there is an internal wiring error (say a tweeter misconnected) then the bass will cancel with one orientation and the tweeter with the other. Also if channel balance is poor or the crossover has a problem then the cancelation won't be complete.

Try it. It is very revealing.

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.