Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

No concern if you do it like it was intended - with a digital active XO and DSP. I have not looked into a passive filter with this driver combo.

The midrange box should be sealed in my opinion, quite deep and with the rear 50% filled with damping material to suppress the rear wave. Filling the entire volume is not a good idea in my opinion. There should be some air between the driver and the damping material. This is because the damping material will reflect some sound, and a greater distance between the driver and the damping will reduce the level of this reflection.

Nothing 100% decided yet, but it looks like the depth will be around 45-50cm.

I could not agree more. This combo, TPL/12p80nd amazes me with its clean, dynamic and natural sound, as nothing else i heard beside.

The equation Bl^2 / Re is often considered useful in estimating the motor strength of a driver. The Beyma 12P80Nd has the highest Bl^2 / Re among common 12" midbass candidates. This may explain why SOME ears like the 12P80Nd with its low Qts = 0.15 and middle-road Mms = 56g as a high efficiency midbass. Distortion data is also very good, especially for a 99db/watt driver.

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 837
Good comparison table

Hi Line Source

That's a very interesting idea and a useful comparison table.
I have seen a lot of your posts on various threads and I am impressed by your R&D, I like the way your mind works!

As Einstein said " Science is not what you know, its a way of thinking"

Thanks again for posting.
Cheers
Derek.
PS Is that experimental 12 inch driver in the table in production?

As promised, here are a few pictures of the current system using a Fane Colossus 18XB, PHL 3451, and Beyma TPL-150H. Crossover points are 200 and 1511 Hz, active crosovers 24 dB/octave, and triamped.

Best regards
Peter

hi Peter

do you like the phl better than the p.audio you had before ? do you use it in the same conical horn ? any pic of your actualized system ?

Angelo

Attachments

• Beyma PHL1.jpg
    Beyma PHL1.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 798
  • Beyma PHL2.jpg
    Beyma PHL2.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 815
  • Beyma PHL3.jpg
    Beyma PHL3.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 689
As promised, here are a few pictures of the current system using a Fane Colossus 18XB, PHL 3451, and Beyma TPL-150H. Crossover points are 200 and 1511 Hz, active crosovers 24 dB/octave, and triamped.

Best regards
Peter

Hi Peter

how do you like its performance ? have you tried to take off the back cover of the tpl150 ?

Angelo

I have written back and fourth with Dieter Achenbach of lsv-achenbach.de and his recommendation for the TPL is a 8" midrange, not bigger. He found the best integration was with the 8" size.

He uses the M20-2530 by PHL amongst others in his kits.

I myself use the PHL E25-3020 with the non-H version of the TPL. Crossed at aprox. 1550-1600hz if recall correctly. Very cleansounding midrange. All passive crossed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have written back and fourth with Dieter Achenbach of lsv-achenbach.de and his recommendation for the TPL is a 8" midrange, not bigger. He found the best integration was with the 8" size.

He uses the M20-2530 by PHL amongst others in his kits.

I myself use the PHL E25-3020 with the non-H version of the TPL. Crossed at aprox. 1550-1600hz if recall correctly. Very cleansounding midrange. All passive crossed.
The diyhifisupply crescendo also use a 8 inch with the ribbon
I think its nesseceey if you want a fast mid to have small mid to match rapidity of ribbon.
Is it tru that smaller mids are normally more fast?

Last edited:
Raymond ( RayCtech ) sent me a pair of his midrange amt's for testing. I made a baffle for them ( 35cm x 30cm ). Back, its open, so it runs dipol. Today i hooked them up for the first time mounted on the baffle. I crossed them at 300hz , first order. Below,i use the Beyma 12p80Nd up to 300hz/24db.Since these are prototypes, and where folded by hand, they are not 100%, so at higher spl , at peak, there are some resonances, but nothing too much to bother. Integration with the woofer is not perfect, i will have to tweak and make some adjustments in the next days. Will do maybe also some measurements. So what are the first listening impressions? I would say, my reaction is similar as with the Beyma TPL150, when i listened to it the first time. It sounds very, lets say unspectacular. But in a positive way. It is extremely neutral,natural, open, revealing,fast, with correct timbre and tone. Voices sound simply as they should. I played already all kind of music, classical, jazz, vocals. It covers a very wide range, just as a guess, flat up to 10khz. More to come....:=))

Angelo

on the first picture, a size comparison with the Beyma TPL150

Attachments

• raymond 1.jpg
    raymond 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 800
  • raymond 2.jpg
    raymond 2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 749