Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

So matching directivity and the end of the mating passband of each driver should be your primary goal. While the TPL is an excellent driver on its own given its wide frequency range, smooth response and low distortion, its narrow vertical dispersion causes it to call attention to itself too easily…….meaning it doesn’t sum very well and in the near/mid field the TPL is easily localized UNLESS the crossover slope is shallow and the overlapp response wide.

My design philosophy follows my work experience as a recording/mix engineer…..the midrange is the most critical and telling passband of the signal.…..if you’re going to build a three way, design and build AROUND the midrange driver. Think of the TPL as icing on the cake…….it tastes sweet and looks nice, but the savory goodness lies underneath…..and again for the TPL with its narrow vertical dispersion, those two layers of flavor are hard to blend.

For home/Hifi which is classically a mid to nearfield experience, 3 ways that utilize a small 3-5” mid driver have always been king of the mountain with the 3” dome of the ATC being the Overlord……it’s dispersion pattern allows it to push itself between colliding wavefronts where cones and compression drivers cannot. Although somewhat off topic, I mention the ATC only for the context of understanding the importance of designing around the midrange driver.

Lots of $$$ to be spending so you have some thinking to do……’could I’ or ‘should I’……THAT is the question. I’ll leave you to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It seems like it would be possible to XO the 10G40 at around 1800Hz?

The downside with a small 3-5" mid driver is lack of power handling and dynamic capabilities.

As I mentioned before I currently have an quite regular MTM setup with 6.5" and 1" drivers. That allows for close center to center spacing. The AMT is much bigger than a regular soft dome tweeter. The TPL-150 is 160mm tall and my current tweeter is only 72mm.

Would an MTM setup with two 8" drivers such as the Beyma 8MI100 work? That driver seems like it could easily be crossed over at around 1.8-2kHz and have a wider dispersion pattern than a 10" I suppose. However the center to center distance in an MTM setup with the TPL-150 would be over 36cm and wavelength at 1.8kHz is 19cm. Would MMT be better in that case?