Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2011, 07:20 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Default Beyma Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloitacare View Post
Someone will visit me the next couple of weeks, and maibe buy my big horn rig.
I am thinking about what could come next; i would get rid of horns, and build a direct radiator system, and use the Beyma TPL-150 as the core driver of a new system. I am thinking about a lower midrange driver, which would cover the range from 150hz to 1,5khz, and bass below. What would you suggest to be the best driver to mate with the Beyma's ? I think a MTM would be great. AE12TM ? 8" PHL's ? whatelse would you suggest ?

Angelo
Check this out:
http://beyma.com.ua/downloads/LARBEYMA%20.pdf
Regards,
WHG
Old 16th October 2011, 07:36 PM   #42
Account disabled at member's request

Hi WHGeiger,

That Beyma system is very much meant for PA, consisting of MF/HF units which can be stacked to create line arrays.
Also it does not use the TPL150, which is special because it is an excellent HiFi unit coming from a PA manufacturer.
Old 16th October 2011, 08:38 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Hi WHGeiger,

That Beyma system is very much meant for PA, consisting of MF/HF units which can be stacked to create line arrays.
Also it does not use the TPL150, which is special because it is an excellent HiFi unit coming from a PA manufacturer.
Yes I am aware of all that. It is the paired 10G40 drivers and enclosure that should interest you particularly when used with:

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/TPL150H.pdf

Regards,

WHG

Last edited by whgeiger; 16th October 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16th October 2011, 11:27 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My friend has 8M70V2's, I am about to finish my rig with the 8LW30, crossover around 2k..
why was this model his first choice ? i would rather thinki in 8G40, or 8MI100.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:45 PM   #45

Quote:
why was this model his first choice ? i would rather thinki in 8G40, or 8MI100.
Initially I tried (and still have) 8M60's, but these are out of production.
8M70V2's are exact like 8M60's; only the chassis is different.
Please note that, checking datasheets, there seem to be some differences between the two but I was told by Beyma that they are the same.
Total Q of these drivers suits open baffle very well, and frequency response is nicely flat without HF peaking, easing the crossover.
I choose the 8LW30 because it has a bit more linear excursion.
Both types sound very good in the MTM open baffle.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:49 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Initially I tried (and still have) 8M60's, but these are out of production.
8M70V2's are exact like 8M60's; only the chassis is different.
Please note that, checking datasheets, there seem to be some differences between the two but I was told by Beyma that they are the same.
Total Q of these drivers suits open baffle very well, and frequency response is nicely flat without HF peaking, easing the crossover.
I choose the 8LW30 because it has a bit more linear excursion.
Both types sound very good in the MTM open baffle.
I have no experience with open baffles. So closed or bass reflex box is my first choice. That does not mean, that i might one day try out, how open baffle sounds. My first choice so far is 10G40, or 10MI100. Since 10MI100 is a dedicated midrange, i don't know, if its better to use one of each, or both the same model.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:01 AM   #47

Quote:
I have no experience with open baffles. So closed or bass reflex box is my first choice. That does not mean, that i might one day try out, how open baffle sounds. My first choice so far is 10G40, or 10MI100. Since 10MI100 is a dedicated midrange, i don't know, if its better to use one of each, or both the same model.
You can often read on the forums that once you have open baffles you will not go back to boxed loudspeakers.
I must say that the lack of coloration of the open baffles is very appealing, I like it a lot.
In general sound stage is more diffuse compared with boxed loudspeakers; boxed loudspeakers have more of a sweet spot, with the open baffles I can walk around the room and the sound stage remains the same.
Open baffles can not be placed against a wall, but you can find enough on all this in the forums.

10G40 would be a good candidate too, but I have 8LW30's already which are a bit more "open" at the back (good for open baffle) thanks to the neodymium magnets.
10MI100 is not so flat and has pretty low linear excursion, more a pure midrange which could function very well in an enclosure.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:09 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I must say that the lack of coloration of the open baffles is very appealing, I like it a lot.
What most catched me in regard of TPL-150 is exactly its naturalness compared to horns. Lack of coloration is a important factor to me. My horn channel is placed ~ 1m from the wall, is that enough ? I have a pair of
JBL 2206 here, Fane Studio 8m, and Audax Medomex, and Woofex 34 :

Audax / Vega Cleveland - Audio Voice Acoustics

I could make a try with them.....
They would just need to be mounted on a baffle, using the same crossover, or some different crossover network would be required ? lower midrange, i use bandpass 150hz/6db, and 1,2khz/6db

certainly i would need to pad TPL-150 down , together with the midrange horn.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:40 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just made a quick experiment, and replaced the lower midrange horn with Audax Medomex in open baffle. I switched L-pad to the tpl-150, so both, S2, and Beyma, are padded down, and so the bass horn ( i raised lowpass to ~ 250hz ) , to match efficiency with the Audax. My first reaction : Wow !! It might be that i am on something here.......

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by angeloitacare; 17th October 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:06 AM   #50
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just made a quick experiment, and replaced the lower midrange horn with Audax Medomex in open baffle. I switched L-pad to the tpl-150, so both, S2, and Beyma, are padded down, and so the bass horn ( i raised lowpass to ~ 250hz ) , to match efficiency with the Audax. My first reaction : Wow !! It might be that i am on something here.......
Flat damped surround.

Compression will set in fast though, and midrange "weight" will be lacking. For a single driver solution - again, consider the flat-damped larger mids from PHL, the larger in size the better the performance lower in freq.. Alternatively consider the Audax drivers in groupings of 4 or more (..though obviously the old alnico's are out.).

2521 from PHL:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/PHL_25...5-30-45-60.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/PHL_2521-CSD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/PHL_2521-HD.gif

Last edited by ScottG; 17th October 2011 at 01:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!