Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2011, 03:43 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
RD-75's are line-sources, which is a great advantage in itself, as is almost eliminated floor and ceiling reflection.
Sure. But how about tone, naturalness/neutrality, detail, micro and macro dynamics ?
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloitacare View Post
Sure. But how about tone, naturalness/neutrality, detail, micro and macro dynamics ?
Better in every way.

Mostly because of no crossovers above 200 Hz I would think.
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:24 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

10G40 and 10Mi100 are very good drivers. The 10G40 will give you bass down to about 55Hz. It is easy to cross over, can be used in quite different projects, so it is a great allround driver.

10Mi100 is a great midrange, and sounds a bit more dynamic than the 10G40.

Both sound very clean and I really liked them.

12P80(Nd or Fe) looks very interessting on paper and is definitly worth a closer look.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:59 PM   #24
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

I wish beyma had kept the softer suspension and lower Mms of the Nd model with the new 12P80Fe instead of apparantly making it even more robust below Fs and at DC ... but besides this, the Fe looks like another killer midbass from Spain. Thanks for the pointer, Meister (I wasn't aware of these new models)
- Klaus
Old 12th October 2011, 04:38 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

There are some comments at hififorum.nu about the Beyma 12P80Nd combined with TPL-150 which are very encouraging :

maibe someone native of swedish has a better translation :

HiFiForum.nu - Två Halmstadflyttar och en björn i Nissan

Click the image to open in full size.

I have had time to play around with the new 12orna, . They are not even an iota of recorded yet, does not go nearly as deep as the 12P1000Ndsom sat in the same boxes two days ago. But what comes out! This is the most transient I've ever heard, with a resolution and with a tone that is purely amazing, I have not even heard a field coil element with the poise and sense of effortless at the base and the naturalness of voices and foundations in guitars and so on. I definitely think that anyone thinking of a little more TH or maybe kvartsvågspipor, or perhaps real horns, should include these elements in their thoughts. Then they can man be the foundation for a new model, a "supermoc" perhaps? TPL treble in originalmocarna included waveguide now, which enhance the sensitivity of 102dB, we need, then just find a nice 24 "or maybe 30" to the bottom? Ingvar

After a few days of listening, I think: the resolution, just like the version without the horns, incredible, välinspelade strings and percussion is ridiculous live and recordings that feels a little loud will be nicer then the element is completely free from ringing. Really bad recordings are however quite olyssningsbara when the treble is extremely revealing. Some boards feel a little # 8221, call # 8221; in the sound, probably due to the extremely low distortion, a compression driver is of course much higher 1st and 2nd harmonic distortion which adds some warmth and softness that are typically very pleasant to listen to. The combination QW-1 and the treble is really fun to listen to, now, are both basses to be recorded as well and they perform an amazing base and an addictive intimacy and life of the votes. Mathias: I have not really the plant, mocarna was too small, sometimes you could not find them if no music was played, it thus becomes larger versions, but there are advanced plans for a baby sister, mlk, (go ahead and guess! ) Hornta! Crossover 1200-1300, 2nd order LR, schedule is on PM, forgot to answer yours. Ingvar

how about a Beyma 12P80Nd to cover lower midrange, and Beyma 18P80Nd for bass duty ?

something like $100k speakers from Mark Levinson.....

Old 15th October 2011, 07:37 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I'm currently considering to use Beyma 8m70v2 as midrange with tpl-150H. The sensitivity is lower, but as my bass is also of less sensitivity than the tpl-150 I would still need to pad it down.
Tpl-150 is on its way, midranges I haven't ordered yet.

8m70v2: http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/8M70V2.pdf
Old 15th October 2011, 12:50 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Looks very interessting! I hope you report, if you order them.

Old 15th October 2011, 01:13 PM   #28
Account disabled at member's request

We (a friend of mine and me) tried quite some MF combinations with the TPL150, based on an open baffle configuration.
We tried single midrange, but in the end an MTM sounds best to our ears.
My friend has 8M70V2's, I am about to finish my rig with the 8LW30, crossover around 2k.
Pro of this MTM is that two parallelled midranges match the sensitivity of the TPL150 (no padding down of the tweeter necessary) giving a very nice system from about 200 Hz upwards with some 98 dB.
Sounds great with a tube amplifier.
Cardiole, when interested I have 4 8M60's left; these are the same as 8M70V2; only difference is that Beyma changed the chassis.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
We tried single midrange, but in the end an MTM sounds best to our ears.
Good to know that.

Before, Linesource wrote :

Doug's thread "10" MTM with NeoPro5i Ribbon - Build Thread" is a good reminder of dispersion and lobing limitations in an MTM when the center-to-center spacing is greater than half the crossover frequency wavelength.

"1. Unacceptable vertical response caused by the MTM arrangement of the TD10M drivers.

The Germans do let one of the two 8" or 10" midbass drivers work up to 400hz, and the second one to crossover frequency to the TPL-150. So that evitates lobing.

I read somewhere the Beyma 10G40 matches well with TPL-150. Maibe go the
Hornet route would be the interesting, and backload one of the drivers, which would play up to 400hz:

Hornet by Michael Weides

Something like this:

btw. i decided to keep Vitavox S2, and use the TPL-150 where the Coral tweeter used to be. Vitavox will cover a narrow range, from 500hz to 1,5khz only. I crossed the Fane Studio 8m at 500hz, and S2 up, but did not like it . let the Fane play parallel up to 1,2khz, and the Vitavox together, integrates better, and soundstage is better, than without the Vitavox. S2 is padded down with L-pad. While S2/H104 became fatiguing listening over time, with TPL-150 i can listen for hours, and i am not getting tired. What most impresses me is naturalness. Bad recordings sound bad, good ones sound good. Its amazing how it reveals things.....

Last edited by angeloitacare; 15th October 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 15th October 2011, 02:22 PM   #30
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloitacare View Post
Good to know that.

Before, Linesource wrote :

Doug's thread "10" MTM with NeoPro5i Ribbon - Build Thread" is a good reminder of dispersion and lobing limitations in an MTM when the center-to-center spacing is greater than half the crossover frequency wavelength.

"1. Unacceptable vertical response caused by the MTM arrangement of the TD10M drivers.

The Germans do let one of the two 8" or 10" midbass drivers work up to 400hz, and the second one to crossover frequency to the TPL-150. So that evitates lobing.

I read somewhere the Beyma 10G40 matches well with TPL-150. Maibe go the
Hornet route would be the interesting, and backload one of the drivers, which would play up to 400hz:

Hornet by Michael Weides

Something like this:

Yes, we know about possible lobing issues with the MTM configuration.
That's why we tried all these options, just to see (hear) if practice meets theory.
In the end however the MTM simply sounds best, and from the listening position the sound is just very coherent without pointing in the direction of these lobing issues.
D'Appolito configurations are based on point sources as far as I know.
The TPL150 as a treble unit is not a point source but will more behave like a line source for frequencies over 3 kHz or so.
The midranges are about 40 cm apart centre-centre, so there is line source behavior from a little under 1 kHz upwards.
Maybe all this is responsible for the "click" we reached with this setup.

Hide this!Advertise here!