Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2011, 08:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloitacare View Post
Someone will visit me the next couple of weeks, and maibe buy my big horn rig.
Not me...
(Have one already, but not tratix. Spanish Beyma tweeter though, from the eighties.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister_gue View Post
and my favourites are Beymas 10Mi100, 10G40, ...
You find one more musical than the other? (Thanks.)

Last edited by Inductor; 30th September 2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Beyma tweeter
Old 30th September 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

If Beyma ribbon sounds anything close to big Heil you may regret getting rid of horns down the road. My friend has one and it sounds very , very nice -ALL the time ! . You may try to borrow TAD TM1201 -100dB carbon driver for your midrange. I think it would match that tweeter perfectly. Maybe a little absent of tone but very exciting and clean speaker.

(or we can trade I'll sent you a pair of Tad's 1201, pair of BC 8PE21 or faital pro M5f12 and Altec 228c with new GPA dia's so you can have some dudes to operate your horns and sell them to discerning music lover and you just sent me your fanes and vitavoxes-simple ;0) As a bonus you'll have fun reading Romy calling me morron and imbecile while being ahead of the game !

Last edited by limono; 30th September 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 30th September 2011, 05:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
If Beyma ribbon sounds anything close to big Heil you may regret getting rid of horns down the road. My friend has one and it sounds very , very nice -ALL the time ! . You may try to borrow TAD TM1201 -100dB carbon driver for your midrange. I think it would match that tweeter perfectly. Maybe a little absent of tone but very exciting and clean speaker.

(or we can trade I'll sent you a pair of Tad's 1201, pair of BC 8PE21 or faital pro M5f12 and Altec 228c with new GPA dia's so you can have some dudes to operate your horns and sell them to discerning music lover and you just sent me your fanes and vitavoxes-simple ;0) As a bonus you'll have fun reading Romy calling me morron and imbecile while being ahead of the game !
hi Limono

despite never heard the original Heil's, i think the Beyma is a different breed.
Without horn it has 99db/wm, and with waveguide 102db/wm. While the Heil has 92db/wm. BTW. even without WG, i don't miss dynamics, but a little more output below 2khz ( which i think i will get with my WG ).
If i don't sell my horn system, as soon as my WG is finished and on place, i will sell S2/H104. That will be some bucks at my paypal account, and i will have some spare money to try out different things... That will be fun.
What i would love, is to have the frequencies below 1khz also reproduced by a AMT: Raymonds fullrange AMT is a dream.....

The One and Only Full Range AMT

He believes his creation is the best there is, and , knowing what the Beyma is capable, i don't doubt a second about that......
BTW. i don't give a s*** about what some people think......

Angelo

Last edited by angeloitacare; 30th September 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 30th September 2011, 07:20 PM   #14
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW. i don't give a s*** about what some people think......

Angelo
Sure you do.. (though describing the cat as "people" is a bit generous ), after-all this is the same "person" helping to inflate the price of an S2 to stupid levels and ultimately providing you more cash to spend!

..btw, did I mention the PHL 3040? ..Oh yeah, I did.
Old 30th September 2011, 08:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thats my design there, two 15P80ND's with the TPL150H. Passive XO is at 900 Hz, 2nd order. The speaker is highly praised in the DIY community in Norway. Personally I found the 15P80ND a little less open sounding that smaller diameter midranges, but adding a dedicated mid would make the speaker a 3-way with two 15" woofers.... Using a Beyma 8G40 would probably make the midrange better.

But anyway, it sounds really good, and it can play insanely loud. One guy that build them measured 135 dB in his listening position....
Old 30th September 2011, 08:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Personally I found the 15P80ND a little less open sounding that smaller diameter midranges, but adding a dedicated mid would make the speaker a 3-way with two 15" woofers.... Using a Beyma 8G40 would probably make the midrange better.
I was actually thinking about the Beyma 10MI100 as midrange down to 150hz, and below a sub. It has about the same sensitivity as the Tpl150, and a very linear frequency response.

similar to this design , but with the ATM, instead of a CD:

Beyma Woofers, Mids and Compression drivers w/ DDS horns

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th September 2011, 08:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was actually thinking about the Beyma 10MI100 as midrange down to 150hz, and below a sub. It has about the same sensitivity as the Tpl150, and a very linear frequency response.

Beyma Woofers, Mids and Compression drivers w/ DDS horns

Click the image to open in full size.
How low do you plan on running the TPL?
Old 30th September 2011, 08:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You will not get ~100 dB sensitivity out of that, you will need two woofers to get enough sensitivity below the baffle step. The same goes for the midrange as well.
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

hi Stigerik

i might have missed it at your thread, but, could you point out what advantage you got, replacing the Beyma, with the Bohlender Graebener RD75 Planar Transducer ? ( i mean beside the fact, that it covers down to 150hz ? )
Would the Hygeia RD-1000 with 97db/wm not have been a better choice ?

厚纪电子有限公司

The Beyma 12P80Nd looks very interesting on paper :

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12P80Nd.pdf

two below the TPL might be something......
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hi Stigerik
i might have missed it at your thread, but, could you point out what advantage you got, replacing the Beyma, with the Bohlender Graebener RD75 Planar Transducer ? ( i mean beside the fact, that it covers down to 150hz ? )
Between there I had a Mundorf AMT as well....
The obvious advantage is of course the much wider frequency range, which means no XO in the midrange.

RD-75's are line-sources, which is a great advantage in itself, as is almost eliminated floor and ceiling reflection.

Quote:
Would the Hygeia RD-1000 with 97db/wm not have been a better choice ?
厚纪电子有限公司
They look like B&G copies, bad ones too. Note that the RD-1000 is 20 dB down at 200 Hz compared to 1000 Hz. Absolutely rubbish if you ask me.

Quote:
The Beyma 12P80Nd looks very interesting on paper :
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12P80Nd.pdf
two below the TPL might be something......
Yes they look very good, and I wanted to try them for a long time. But Beyma hesitated releasing them for production, and I ended up with four 8" Excel instead.....

Hide this!Advertise here!