Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971,

Can you provide please also measurements at 15°, 30°,60° : it can give a lot of answers : many thinks these both AMT used too low give thin sound in such aeras.

I mean I don't know myself but read so much people saying than those both AMT are better above 2.8/3 K.... and even 6 to 8 K for the Heil where it gives its best !

Polar response ?

always myself asking the same questions : a low diameter (3" to 5"/6" classic driver, front loaded or not) or horn below the AMT is certainly the way to go... but how ? I believing now it seems more easy to follow you on your synergy design (Have to try it as it is cheap :) ) or with 2" / 1.5" CD driver with horn to avoid so such too low XO with AMTs' ?!

Very interrested by your results here !

I'm sure you thinked to the AMT in a synergy already ? Am I wrong ? Is there a problem here like a too low QTS or speed ?

cheers

Here is polar response - quite nice - this is raw response no filters, no EQ, no XO straight from amp:
454772d1419056167-hyperfast-hypercube-based-2-way-ess-amt-polar.png

I don't see the problem at 7kHz that is referred to. ???

The impedance is flat so in fact, it is very easy to integrate with a XO.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
ESS Heil AMTs need a lot of compensatory crossover work because of their accentuated response around 7K:sad:...will really require a lot of work IMHO.

Why is a lot of compensatory XO worke needed given this response which is quite flat over the range of angles. I use active EQ anyway...

This is raw response at 0 deg with harmonic distortion:

454773d1419056167-hyperfast-hypercube-based-2-way-ess-amt-hd.png

Here is impulse response - almost perfect:

454774d1419056167-hyperfast-hypercube-based-2-way-ess-amt-impulse.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How open does the back need to be?

Meaning do I need to have a downward slope on the cabinet behind the eights?

They can just sit on top of a box like how ESS did their speaker and seems to work well. I also tested mine with it sitting on top of the box for the bass enclosure. No sloping needed since vertical directivity is narrow. If you have back open and several feet from wall it gives good imaging and ambiance. I would avoid placing right next to a back wall.

They can just sit on top of a box like how ESS did their speaker and seems to work well. I also tested mine with it sitting on top of the box for the bass enclosure. No sloping needed since vertical directivity is narrow. If you have back open and several feet from wall it gives good imaging and ambiance. I would avoid placing right next to a back wall.
Well that makes things easier then. I just have to come up with a good looking design in my head now that is a TWW design. Was sold on a WTMW for so long that I have to get my mind around a new idea.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well that makes things easier then. I just have to come up with a good looking design in my head now that is a TWW design. Was sold on a WTMW for so long that I have to get my mind around a new idea.

Here is how ESS does it, I don't see why you can't add another woofer and make it taller. That would elevate the AMT higher up closer to ear level. They need to be close to ear level as the vertical dispersion is very narrow. And I would go with a sealed alignment and Linkwitz transform to get the woofer to have the best transient response to match the tops.

amt1.JPG

Unfortunatey I only have about 12" wide for width. So thats why I have some 8's coming. BUT if i just make a tower tall enough to have the AMT around 35" tall I can fit another pair of 8's I guess. BUT that gets costly. May just have to build a tower and a TL design or something with the 8's I have coming.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You will need a pair of 8in at least to keep up with how sensitive and loud the AMT's are and be able to dig deep for bass. A pair of 94dB 8 ohms 8inchers are not that expensive, will get you 100dB sensitive drivers to match the AMT's which I measured as 100dB at 2.83v.

Maybe a pair of these 8NDL51's with 7mm stroke and 94dB $120ea:
http://www.parts-express.com/bc-8ndl51-8-neodymium-woofer--294-649

Last edited:
i think you have to pass a critical 1.7-1.8k on TPL-150

i'm also curious about this combination as i have both of the drivers and they have a similar sensitivity.

these two can be used on open baffle which is esp good for TPL - you can take off the back. don't know how the audax drivers sounds boxless, but i'm sure that it won't go very low on baffle like it would if in horn (almost 200hz). i guess the matching bass driver should be able to reach 400-500hz, which is right in the vocal range and i'm not sure if this would be easy to harmonize.

anyway, looking forward to hear more about this...

BEYMA FANS

The latest 2015 datasheets on the Beyma website for the 15MI100 and 10MI100 are different from last year.... better. Worth a visit to beyma.com to check for new revisions on your favorite drivers.

The old(2013) 15MI100 datasheet showed Fs=48Hz and Qts=0.28, and Xmax = just 2mm and Le=2.3mH.
The new(2015) 15MI100 datasheet shows Fs=37Hz and Qts=0.29 and Xmax=4.5mm and Le=1mH. A better midbass, but still not a woofer.(WinISD posted: sealed F3=96Hz and ported F3=50Hz)

The old(2013) 10MI100 had Fs=89Hz and Qts=0.25 and Xmax= just 2mm and Le=2.3mH, and seemed designed for use in a horn.
The new(2015) 10MI100 has Fs=50Hz and Xmax=4.5mm and Qts=0.21 and Le=0.9mH, and now looks like a useful midbass, and possible partner for the Beyma TPL-150H tweeter. (WinISD posted: 97db/w sealed F3= 170Hz)

Attachments

• 15MI100. 2015.JPG
    15MI100. 2015.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 530
  • Beyma 10MI100  2015.JPG
    Beyma 10MI100 2015.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 501