Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2012, 04:59 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

hi Gordan

yes, i think the Audax pr170m0 is a good candidate. If i would have to start from scratch, i don't think however i would use a horn in the lower midrange. Just a direct radiator, eventually open baffle.

A mono sub below 110hz isnt a good thing. I use my mono sub below 50hz.
Its absolutely essencial to have a stereo pair of woofers covering 50hz to ~ 150hz.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:13 PM   #102
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default mono sub limit

"A mono sub below 110hz isnt a good thing. I use my mono sub below 50hz.
Its absolutely essencial to have a stereo pair of woofers covering 50hz to ~ 150hz. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Angelo,
By chance, I am using a mono-sub crossed at 50 Hz. My mid-bass/low mid units cover from 50-500 (a daunting task).

My audio buddies keep urging me to move my sub-to mid-bass x-over higher,
but I am hesistant. So I am asking for what info/ experiences brought you to your conclusion ?
best regards, Scott L.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:13 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

i didn't mean mono sub-bass , i was just not precise. i've actually thought of two sub horns...

would be curious to hear why wouldn't you want to use a horn for mid-bass/low-mid?

i have a slight feeling you are changing your listening priorities and dynamics are not a priority anymore....
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:38 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
i didn't mean mono sub-bass , i was just not precise. i've actually thought of two sub horns...

would be curious to hear why wouldn't you want to use a horn for mid-bass/low-mid?

i have a slight feeling you are changing your listening priorities and dynamics are not a priority anymore....
Gordan

this week i will have my Onken W style cabinets with Altec 416a at home. I will be able to compare them direct with my basshorn, and relate the differences. But my intent is to use them both..... The new cabs above the basshorn...... that might sound crazy, but nothing goes over trying things out....

I am padding the lower midrange horn down, since it has 109db/wm, while the Beyma has ~ 101 db/wm. A direct radiator Audax has about the same sensitivity as the Beyma. I can't say however what would change in regard of dynamics. I suspect, very little.....

Quote:
My audio buddies keep urging me to move my sub-to mid-bass x-over higher,
but I am hesistant. So I am asking for what info/ experiences brought you to your conclusion ?
best regards, Scott L.
hi Scott

as said to Gordan, nothing goes over experimenting. Theory is one thing. Trying out things, is another. Maibe its worth , if the effort is not too much, to try out, cross your subs higher, and see , how they perform. My sub is a Aura 1808 in vented cab, and does not sound good at higher frequencies. But depending on what sub you use, it might work well... Its all relative.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:32 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

angelo, i don't think audax on a baffle can reach beyma's sensitivity, for sure no. the subject of pr170m0 factory measurements was already discussed around. they need a horn to match the beymas.

i'm wondering where are you now with the system. frankly i'm finding very strange you are running different drivers over the same frequency and not getting why are you doing that.

maybe i'm wrong but considering the speed and microdynamics of an AMT tweeter, i would still try to avoid matching it with a cone driver.

actually i think the way to go is to have a low mid CD in a good horn, like BMS 4592 for more crystal clear or DCM50 for more rounded sound. They can both go to 300 (BMS) or 400 (B&C), which makes a bass solution easy. On the other side both are linear all the way to 3k at least, which gives a bit of freedom to experiment where to cross in order to relax Beymas so they can perform HF better than they do when crossed at 1.2k.

Actually, DCM50 + TPL150h, that would be a nice combo to hear.

Cheers
Old 14th November 2012, 11:34 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
angelo, i don't think audax on a baffle can reach beyma's sensitivity, for sure no. the subject of pr170m0 factory measurements was already discussed around. they need a horn to match the beymas.

i'm wondering where are you now with the system. frankly i'm finding very strange you are running different drivers over the same frequency and not getting why are you doing that.

maybe i'm wrong but considering the speed and microdynamics of an AMT tweeter, i would still try to avoid matching it with a cone driver.

actually i think the way to go is to have a low mid CD in a good horn, like BMS 4592 for more crystal clear or DCM50 for more rounded sound. They can both go to 300 (BMS) or 400 (B&C), which makes a bass solution easy. On the other side both are linear all the way to 3k at least, which gives a bit of freedom to experiment where to cross in order to relax Beymas so they can perform HF better than they do when crossed at 1.2k.

Actually, DCM50 + TPL150h, that would be a nice combo to hear.

Cheers
hi Gordan

i am in Hong Kong now. In the next few days i will visit Line Magnetic factory near Macau. I will probably buy a pair of LM555 drivers, and see how they will perform in the lower midrange, paired with the Beyma.
For why i use two different drivers to cover the same frequency range :
the Coral M100 in the midrange horn is padded down, the L pad is almost closed. It adds a littlebit more soundstage, i like it . But i told you that already.....

Angelo
Old 14th November 2012, 06:37 PM   #107
nex_86 is offline nex_86  Norway
diyAudio Member

Eager follower of this thread.

My plan until now, has been the InConcert Miles by Stig Erik Tangen.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:53 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

anyone can report on a good match with a low mid compression driver bellow beyma?

i'm particularly curious about B&C DCM50, it seems it can be had for 230e at the moment at some sales

BMS4592 mid is too costly for me (if still around 600e a piece)

i have vitavox S3, however it won't go as low as above....

the idea is to find a good option to reach 300-400 in lows and around 2k in highs so beyma can be relaxed from being stressed on its lower limits, hope this will improve its HF performance. though i have fostex 825, i'd love to avoid it if possible

also it would easier for a bass solution not to go any higher than 300-400

Last edited by anubisgrau; 15th November 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:40 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
anyone can report on a good match with a low mid compression driver bellow beyma?

i'm particularly curious about B&C DCM50, it seems it can be had for 230e at the moment at some sales

BMS4592 mid is too costly for me (if still around 600e a piece)

i have vitavox S3, however it won't go as low as above....

the idea is to find a good option to reach 300-400 in lows and around 2k in highs so beyma can be relaxed from being stressed on its lower limits, hope this will improve its HF performance. though i have fostex 825, i'd love to avoid it if possible

also it would easier for a bass solution not to go any higher than 300-400
hi Gordan

i have seen your post at AA. Have you heard or do you possess the Beyma TPL-150 ? because i would not like to miss anything specially of the lower frequencies the Beyma reproduces, and where it shines most. I have heard today a YL acoustics system here in Hong Kong, and i am shocked how colored these systems perform, after i acostumed to the Beyma. I measured the frequecy response of it at my home, and it is flat up to 20khz. I dont miss any treble, and dont see why cross it higher will help to better in some way the higher frequencies reproduction.

Angelo
Old 15th November 2012, 11:54 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

just bough a pair here. it will be in a few weeks time with me.

do you cross it at 1.2k?

there were several reports that low crossing affects the HF behaviour (over 10k) but who knows before a trial

Hide this!Advertise here!