Anybody wanting to simulate or build a 4- or 5-way dipole speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't know about that. I built an RD-75 Dipole as a marginally 3 way back in '05 with exceptional results... but then that's an actual design with an exceptional driver...

John L.
Long ribbons certainly were not a consideration... In terms of volume displacement, power handling, and horizontal directivity, they are excellent - but vertical directivity is compromised. Perhaps for a long driver that isn't a bad thing.

Did you experience any floor bounce effects?

There must be some interest?

It says 22 views ;)
Good job, I like it. I will probably use at some point.

I am not very clear on how to calculate the frequency where the dipole starts to bring down the low end response. Can you please explain how it's calculated?

--
As for recommendations I will suggest making some interactive graphs even if they are pretty simple. There's no substitute for being able to see instantly how changing one parameter affects the rest of the system.

It says 22 views ;)
Good job, I like it. I will probably use at some point.

I am not very clear on how to calculate the frequency where the dipole starts to bring down the low end response. Can you please explain how it's calculated?

--
As for recommendations I will suggest making some interactive graphs even if they are pretty simple. There's no substitute for being able to see instantly how changing one parameter affects the rest of the system.
It's been a long time since I adapted the equations to fit the sheet, but if you set the high-pass high enough such that a driver shows a dipole loss of 0 dB, there is no loss in sensitivity or max SPL whatsoever. The caveat is that the driver is probably either running a very small pass-band (not so much a problem in a 5-way) or the passband has gone over the dipole peak. At this point, there are a few things you can do: 1) reduce the size of the baffle, if a baffle is used, or 2) if the driver is running naked, select a smaller driver.

The low end only starts to suffer as dipole loss increases - and Tolvan's Edge should be used to verify how bad the effects are.

If you are asking how the equations are derived, I cannot explain. The equations are taken from Mr. Linkwitz's work.

Last edited:
off axis and on

Long ribbons certainly were not a consideration... In terms of volume displacement, power handling, and horizontal directivity, they are excellent - but vertical directivity is compromised. Perhaps for a long driver that isn't a bad thing.

Did you experience any floor bounce effects?

here's the 0,15,30,45, and 60 degree off axis curves from 5 years ago, off set vertically green red purple blue and orange respectively, meassured 15 feet back in a ~15,000 ft^3 room

How to Tell How a Speaker Sounds in a Room: (Supplement to REG's review of the McIntosh XRT28s)

DIRC0_90.jpg

vertical directivity "compromise" I see as a plus in 6' tall speakers...;) mid-woofers are down low, so no floor bounce to speak of...

John L.

here's the 0,15,30,45, and 60 degree off axis curves from 5 years ago, off set vertically green red purple blue and orange respectively, meassured 15 feet back in a ~15,000 ft^3 room

How to Tell How a Speaker Sounds in a Room: (Supplement to REG's review of the McIntosh XRT28s)

DIRC0_90.jpg

vertical directivity "compromise" I see as a plus in 6' tall speakers...;) mid-woofers are down low, so no floor bounce to speak of...

John L.
These are horizontal off-axis curves? What about the vertical?

And I was wondering about floor bounce from within the same driver - i.e. from top to bottom, is there any destructive interference?

response

These are horizontal off-axis curves? What about the vertical?

Didn't measure much more than cursory... within the horizontal 6' spread, not much variation as well... that was a major purpose of the design

And I was wondering about floor bounce from within the same driver - i.e. from top to bottom, is there any destructive interference?

no

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.