Vifa P21WO-39-08 Woofer - Sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andy,

I like the sound of a sealed sub.
Also, I have a small living, which makes the 50hz seem fine.

You mention that the P21 is a good sub, does that go for the
P21WO-39-08 as well, because I know the other, P21WO-20-08
is very well reviewed by a lot of people.

I got the 50hz mark using a Qtc of 0.707. The volume works out to
32.06 litres.

What or who is "BB6" ?

Cheers,
sunil

Thanx for the input from everybody.
Can I get some info on the woofer ?
Any kind of info would be helpful.

I'm worried about ultimate power output.

It has a rated sensitivity of 88db & a power
rating of 6.3 watts.

10log 6.3=8 W
88+8=96 W

Is the 96 db on this woofer distortion free ?
Thats my worry.

Hello sunil,

One figure I didn't see when I looked up the woofer specifications is Xmax. If you can get one with several mm each way, then you can be more sure that you can use active equalization to get flat response in the sealed box by taking of the full power capability of the woofer. I like sealed enclosures because they have smooth frequency response roll-off, which sounds better to me than other types of enclosures. Actually open baffle would probably be best for sound fidelity, but where can you dump the rear radiation unless you have a basement and can mount the enclosure with an open bottom on the floor?

The speaker design software I have shows two curves. One graphs the dB output vs. the power input assuming the cone has no excursion limit. The other one shows where the cone will actually "bottom out". Without a program like this, it is very hard to choose a woofer and design an enclosure for maximum performance.:(

What box!

Hi Sunil,
Like Ap said earlier if you really want to go lower you should use a TL enclosure. With a sealed enclosure you need lots of power to drive it as a sub. In addition the Lf roll off is very high as you have already seen. You should try to get down to 40 Hz or lower where really satisfying bass lies and lots of good music - (Indian and otherwise) - contains bass notes in that region. The TL box would help you get that. You can use dacron fiber which is used for stuffing pillows. It's made by Reliance and called Racron I think.
I bought mine from a pillow maker. Altenatively you can buy the 150/- buck pillow and pull out the filling !
Are you getting your P21W from a local supplier ? If so how much is it? I wanted to get a pair of drivers.
Cheers.

Ashok,

Thanx for that. I don't want very low bass as I have a small room.
I want clean full output at 50hz.

Another thing is, getting the cabinet done here in Bangalore is going to cost, therefore................

I got the drivers from Australia last month. Wish we had access like the rest of the world does. I need the mides & tweets now but have to wait till I can get them from there.

Do you think we can get them ordered here from abroad. Perhaps if a few of us get together & order we could work something out.

Cheers,
sunil

Sunil, aprrox. what volume is your room? I can do a few calcs. that I'm good at (found on SL's website, under THOR estimates). These are for a Sealed box however. TL's are yummy and beautiful things, I can only remember the good times I had listening to some music (indian musical-no vocals) and loved it when there were 50Hz. bursts. My TL was tuned to 50Hz. Absolutely NO port noise!

sunil said:
It has a rated sensitivity of 88db & a power
rating of 6.3 watts.

10log 6.3=8 W
88+8=96 W

Is the 96 db on this woofer distortion free ?

nope many years ago for some reason 96db /1m was considered a reference point so often u could find woofers rated at 4W menaing that the sens was 4W to get to 96db. i dont think this is the max distortion free level - that could be a bit higher.

sunil said:
Ashok,
Thanx for that. I don't want very low bass as I have a small room.
I want clean full output at 50hz.

I got the drivers from Australia last month....
Do you think we can get them ordered here from abroad. Cheers,
sunil

I would use the technique used by KLH (Henry Kloss) in the late 70s use a EQ between the pre and power amp. these EQs usually quite steep can be built using opamps (I'd recomend OP275s) and can affect the phase of the speaker but if you keep the effects belwo 100Hz i dont think you'd notice too much.

as far as ordering drivers from abroad count me in. i got so many project ideas that I would like to get a few more drivers cheap.

The next thing i wanna try for example is a push push TL using either 2 x 6" and a 1"or 2 x 4.5" anda 3/4".

another idea i wont mind working on is a 1.5 way using 2 4" W4 657S or 654S in a push pull TL. anyone have any opinion on the 927 / 930 in such a config.

what if we used the muchused W3 871 (W3 593/594) full range and used 2 x w4 992 (PPTL) for the 0.5 way?

sorry for th hijack just got carried away at the thought of a bulk purchase of cheap drivers.

as far as the bulk purchase is concerend seeing that there are more DIYers (on this list) from Bang than any other place in India we'd have to import and clear in Bang and then re ship to others in India right?

so far DIYers i have seen on this list are from Jam'pur, B'lore, B'bay feel free to add more to this list.

sunil
Seems that the 21WO-39-08 is 50Hz at -3dB in a sealed box. Yes, very nice for a small room, especially if you prefer vocal clarity over bass. In vented, it does go deeper but is pretty useless if the room is small. If anyone is interested in using this freeware, Box-Port 2 can be downloaded at:
http://www.ampslab.com/projects.htm

Attachments

• vifap21wo-39-08sealed32l.gif
    vifap21wo-39-08sealed32l.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 455
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.