Swifts and other birds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A good reading of Augsperger's patent columns gives one a cynical view.

When we piece together the few facts scattered amongst the Poor Man's Bob Carver prose, I would guess he peaks the woofer below resonance by interposing a reactance or two. There are a bunch of ways that this has been done, most notably the series capacitor approach of Clark and Geddes.

I'll run a quick search and see if he's got a patent application in on this. If not, draw your own conclusions.

Edit: Ran a search of applications and issued patents at USPTO with "McGinty" as inventor and "loudspeaker" as a search term. Zip. Nada.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
The title of the article says "new chip for bass", but the body of the article insists that the technique is completely inside the loudspeaker-nothing to do with amps, etc.

I guess we'll never know about the effectiveness of the technique until we see some Thiele-Small parameters for a speaker and a response curve for an enclosure employing that speaker.

I wonder if it isn't some variation of the old technique of using the bass reflex port as a trucated horn section, in order to get horn action on a very narrow band of frequencies. I saw a book from the fifties by Abraham Cohen that illustrated that.

Anyway, please tell me more about the series capacitor approach of Clark and Geddes.

Series capacitor:

Applied to a closed box, a series capacitor will interact with the impedance of the driver in a way that the box can be made smaller and go a bit lower. Because there is no free lunch (as usual) you will end up with a steeper rolloff (3rd instead of 2nd order) and slightly worse impulse response. AFAIK the impedance will also be a little lower below resonance (the increased radiated power has to come from somewhere in the end !).
Theoretically it would be possible to simulate this behaviour with current feedback.

About the bass-ic thingie:

http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/pow/tl.htm

shows a picture of one their TML foldings.
They seem to use a 1st back-chamber followed by a 2nd one (30% smaller approx), then the line is narrowing for the first 2/3 (approx) and then it opens up again towards the end.

Regards

Charles

Joined 2001
Much thanks, Charles.

It always occurred to me that since the idea is to take the back wave and reverse it, a series of chambers could be used, each one adding their own little delay. A back wave, delayed enough, goes into phase with the front wave and reinforces it.

I was always under the impression that a bass reflex and Transmission Line delivers the back wave 180º out of phase, and therefore in phase with the front wave. However, I found out a short time ago that is not completely true. In both the Transmission Line and the reflex, the back wave is 90º out of phase with the front-which still means that it reinforces the front somewhat.

I wonder if this multiple coupled cavity, connected to a Transmission Line thing that Meadowlark has doesn't alter that relationship somewhat. Could it be that these new enclosures deliver the back wave fully in phase with the front instead of 90º out of phase, and that is where the extra benefit comes from?

I am just guessing here, I freely admit.

Joined 2001
VEC7OR:

If you look closely, the top 2 dividers do not provide a smooth cross-section for the sound to flow down, like in a conventional Transmission Line. The space betwee the wall and the open end of divider is much smaller than the cross-section of the Line at that point. The top 2 dividers are not part of a Transmission Line, they are divideing the enclosure up into two chambers.

The Transmisson Line begins after the second divider, when the space between the dividers and the wall is equal to the flow area of the Line at that point.

In both the Transmission Line and the reflex, the back wave is 90º out of phase with the front-which still means that it reinforces the front somewhat...

...Could it be that these new enclosures deliver the back wave fully in phase with the front instead of 90º out of phase, and that is where the extra benefit comes from?

90º at what frequency? And what happens away from that frequency?

The bass behaviour looks like an ordinary BR enclosure (impedance curve, FR of both the driver itself and the aperture). I am not sure about that but I assume a "real" TML would at least show a different impedance curve.

While the amplitude response is a little bumpy, but still not bad, it's step response is indeed very good. I do deliberately not say excellent since it is a speaker with an "exhaust" and the diagram would clearly show this if the measurement was made over a longer time-span.

Regards

Charles

I once wondered if it were possible to make someting like a bandpass consisting of the following:

A closed chamber behind the driver and one with an aperture in front of the driver. So far it is an ordinary 4th order bandpass enclosure. My idea was to achieve a lower resonant frequency determined by the tunnel and the front chamber (so far ordinary as well) and to make the tunnel dimensions in a way that it has it's 1/4 wavelength one octave above the aforementioned Helmholtz resonance (i.e. generating an upper resonance as well).
Maybe this is bull**** and maybe 1/4 wavelength doesn't apply to this at all because the tunnel isn't "closed" at the back end.
I wouldn't expect HiFi from this anyway but maybe it would be a nice noisemaking device.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.