Ditton 15 Recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Looking for guidance on replacing Ditton 15 caps.

I have been quoted $500 to do the job here in Australia which I think is bit exspensive !

I am handy enough with a soldering iron, but are there any other more technical aspects that I need to consider before I attempt this ?

If you think I can do it, what are the specs I need for the caps and is there a particular type that is recommended.

These were my fathers speakers and they have alot of sentimental value.

Appreciate any help with this little project.

Cheers

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well if this site is anything to go on, they were going to fleece you!! Briarsfield Hi-Fi - Celestion Ditton 15 restoration

If this is the crossover in your speakers, then it would appear that there is a single 4.7uF electrolytic cap in each speaker.

Even some cheap polypropylene caps should do the trick. probably less than $10 for the two. even if you went with super high end audiophile caps you should have plenty of change out of $500! here are some examples http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=4.7uF&x=0&y=0 Note you would need to check that 4.7uF is in fact the value of cap in your crossovers :)

The other thing to consider is that the low ESR of a film cap, may in fact change the crossover frequency somewhat from the original spec, however this will probably be minimal compared to the change resulting from having a cap that is in spec compared to the probably dried out electrolytic :)

Tony.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Looking for guidance on replacing Ditton 15 caps.

I have been quoted $500 to do the job here in Australia which I think is bit exspensive !

I am handy enough with a soldering iron, but are there any other more technical aspects that I need to consider before I attempt this ?

If you think I can do it, what are the specs I need for the caps and is there a particular type that is recommended.

These were my fathers speakers and they have alot of sentimental value.

Appreciate any help with this little project.

Cheers

Well if this site is anything to go on, they were going to fleece you!! Briarsfield Hi-Fi - Celestion Ditton 15 restoration

If this is the crossover in your speakers, then it would appear that there is a single 4.7uF electrolytic cap in each speaker.
$500? Hell, I'll do it for $400 incl shipping to Sydney.

As WM suggests, open it up and have a look. If it's like the xover in the site he linked, just replace the caps with some decent PP which will be about $20 or so for two incl postage.

I also have a beaten up set of Ditton 15 in my worksop/office.

Hi,

Replacing the old bipolar caps with modern dirt cheap new ones
would still be a major upgrade, and TBH that is what I would do.
(There is a world of difference between tired old bipolars and new ones.)
Fix what might be any likely problem, rather than guilding the lily.

IMO you don't need anything better, just restore to as was.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the advice.

So I take it the price is much too high !

I will try and do the job myself, as was pointed out, the speakers are old all round so paying so much, doesnt make sense.

The cross over doesnt look like the one in the link, so I will have to look into how the job can be done.

No doubt when I get to it, I will be back on here asking for advice

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.