Input welcome on high SD 2-way "book-shelf" speaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2011, 12:22 PM   #11
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

8NMB420 - High Output MB Neodymium Driver
http://www.expolinear.de/images/stor...t-10%20pro.pdf
Old 20th September 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
How about this one?

ER18DXT
That's a good choice for what he's looking for.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile View Post
In this kit 8" Peerless 830869 is crossed around 3kHz to NeoCD 3.0 ribbon.

Haven't heard this speaker, but I have heard some other speakers he designed and those were great.
this kit would work, with the waveguide on the ribbon, one would expect that the polar response would be alot better than if a 1" dome were used. I feel 3k is a little high for an 8" woofer, but this one may just pull it off. especially with the waveguided neo ribbon.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
That's a good choice for what he's looking for.
Another good kit. one thing is clear, you either need a waveguided dome or something with more controlled polar response than a dome
Old 20th September 2011, 04:57 PM   #15
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about this?

Take a look at this design from MarkK. It uses an 8" RS225 with an RS28 tweeter, crossing at either 1.2 or 1.4 kHz depending on which crossover version you use, and is a sealed design that's a true bookshelf.
Dayton Reference RS225
Paul
Old 20th September 2011, 06:07 PM   #16
Havoc08 is offline Havoc08  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Havoc08
Hi again all.
Thank you for all you replies. I've been reading them with great interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
The dynaco looks interesting, but the many statements about people making these due to nostalgia and would not use them as primary speakers turns me off a bit? The seas might make it to the list, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post
I've been thinking of something like this but it won't be a dome tweeter. I plan to use my JBL2425 loaded with the JBL2342 Bi-Radial Horn. Woofer is either an 8" Peerless HDS 830869 Nomex or a 10" Seas CA26RE4X. Crossover between 1,200 - 1,500Hz.
Yes that Peerless nomex looks good on paper and peerless usually isn't that far off IRL. IDK about horns, I mentally tie them to dance club and PA and not to HiFi, but I might have the wrong perception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Yes, I agree. Forget the little dome tweeter and get a nice high quality compression driver and matching horn. According to what I've read, if you want a big woofer, you have to cross it over lower for good sound.

I built a two way with:
B&C 8NDL51 (vented in 0.4 cu ft box tuned to 72Hz)
B&C DE250 compression driver
B&C ME20 horn
passive crossover @ 1.6 KHz.

I intend to use a subwoofer so no big deal on not going really low here (-3dB @ about 72 Hz). Sensitivity is about 94dB.
Same question again as above. Are compression drivers "good enough" for normal living room HiFi? I have little experience with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
How about this one?

ER18DXT
That actually looks alot like what I was looking to build. Would there be any benefit from changing the tweeter to something else (H1318-06 29TFF/W)?
H1318-06 29TFF/W
Vs.
H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

The Fs is lightly higher and moving mass too, but it has a larger piston area and what seem to be a much smoother FR.

Interesting driver. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
this kit would work, with the waveguide on the ribbon, one would expect that the polar response would be alot better than if a 1" dome were used. I feel 3k is a little high for an 8" woofer, but this one may just pull it off. especially with the waveguided neo ribbon.
Besides from the fact that the speaker isn't that appealing looking I would also think that 3K quite high and too high for most 8's. A steep order filter might make it work, but why not cross lower? Wouldn't that make beaming less likely too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkitt View Post
Take a look at this design from MarkK. It uses an 8" RS225 with an RS28 tweeter, crossing at either 1.2 or 1.4 kHz depending on which crossover version you use, and is a sealed design that's a true bookshelf.
Dayton Reference RS225
Paul
I know the RS series and like them alot, but they are too ineffecient for this project.

There are some Hivi F8 projects, but many time the peak in the FR shows on the final sweep, so maybe I should leave this driver alone.

On paper this looks good, FR wise (haven't looked into optimal volume), but the price suggests otherwise. Silver Flute W20RC38-08, 8" Wool Cone: Madisound Speaker Store

Does anyone know this driver?
Old 20th September 2011, 07:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc08 View Post
The dynaco looks interesting, but the many statements about people making these due to nostalgia and would not use them as primary speakers turns me off a bit?
Just wanted to say that we're building them to fit the role as primary speakers. Even if they are a bit on the large side, the will do a great job as "book-shelf" speakers, especially due to the fact that they use an aperiodic vent.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi !
Quote:
Same question again as above. Are compression drivers "good enough" for normal living room HiFi? I have little experience with these.
Some of them, yes ! I don't listen to compression a lot but i heard one which works very well, i don't have its reference.
It could an interesting to use a compression, but a good compromise could be a tweeter + waveguide.
This troŽls project could be a good staring point ? 8" +1"WG
Old 20th September 2011, 07:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes that Peerless nomex looks good on paper and peerless usually isn't that far off IRL. IDK about horns, I mentally tie them to dance club and PA and not to HiFi, but I might have the wrong perception?

Oh, good horns are the cat's meow! There is an entire sub-culture of horn enthusiasts in high end hifi.

The B&C DE250 is generally highly regarded. Also, I have read that compression drivers that do not use titanium or aluminum diaphragms generally sound better. There are other good sounding compression drivers out there.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:35 PM   #20
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That actually looks alot like what I was looking to build. Would there be any benefit from changing the tweeter to something else (H1318-06 29TFF/W)?
H1318-06 29TFF/W
Vs.
H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

The Fs is lightly higher and moving mass too, but it has a larger piston area and what seem to be a much smoother FR.
The ER18DXT is not a conventional bookshelf and if you try to change it you risk ending up with something that sounds worse. This a narrowing constant directivity design, similar in concept to the Geddes speakers. Make note on how the narrowing directivity of the woofer at the crossover point is perfectly mated to the waveguide dispersion pattern of the tweeter. Horizontal constant directivity is often overlooked in conventional designs but it's known to be instrumental in achieving a convincing stereo image and correct perceived tonal balance.

P.S. I've never built it or listened to it but it looks great on paper.

Last edited by boris81; 20th September 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!