Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2011, 06:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post

Why can't you just look at the voltage or current waveform (depends on the setup) with a spectrum analyzer and note the harmonics? Thats certaily hos I would do it.
The link in the referred to thread had 2 tone IM measurements. The IM products were in the -60dB region (and so pretty inconsequential). I thought a visual approach would show the effect only when it got to a serious level, probably in the 1 to 3 % region, and also give an intuitive feel for what was going on. Not everyone has a distortion analyzer.

Yes, many ways to skin the cat.

David
Old 15th September 2011, 09:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

actually I like both methods. Gedlee has a point but the test method you(dave) describe may be more accessable to the more amateur audio amateur

If I had thought to bring them along to work, I have a Voltech I could be testing them with right now, in stead of twiddling my thumbs on a ZPF load run.......

If I get around to it this week Ill be sure to post any results I get, IF they look valid
Old 16th September 2011, 07:59 AM   #13
metako is offline metako  Australia
diyAudio Member

ERSE THD distortion test drive - YouTube

a valid test?
Old 16th September 2011, 12:07 PM   #14
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes and no. Looking at THD alone is not significant since we do not know if this is high order or low order, THD just lumps it all together. I would want to see the actual spectrum of the nonlinearity once it has actually reached saturation. I would say that the film does agree with my assesment that it takles a lot of power to drive thesae coils into nonlinearity. If, as I suspect, the nonlinearity is low order, then 1% would not be audible. Even 3% of pure second order nonlinearity is not audible.

Dave - a laptop and some free software will do spectrums. There is no excuse these days for not using these tools. The LazyJew figures (no offence intended, I can't spell it either) figures will only show rather large amounts of nonlinearity. I don't think that 3% would even be visible.
Old 16th September 2011, 02:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
The LazyJew figures (no offence intended, I can't spell it either)
The secret method to quickly find how to spell just about anything is to hit your second browser tab, go to google and start typing. It will quickly get you to the correct spelling and more.... lissajous! (Did take 5 letters!)
Old 16th September 2011, 02:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The second issue with any loudspeaker inductor is how it behaves when vibrated! The third is what happens when it see .03 volts of offset for a few days.
Old 16th September 2011, 03:43 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

i thought it was lissaguous...maybe thats the English spelling or im thinking of another word entirely!
Pray tell, what WILL happen if a choke is subjected to 30mV DC offset? Besides little or nothing...
Old 16th September 2011, 03:44 PM   #18
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I always glue down the windings since the companies do not seem to be bonding the windings like they used to. Very thin super glue works great.

You're saying that the voltage heats the inductor? Wouldn't that also be a real problem for the speaker?
Old 16th September 2011, 03:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
i thought it was lissaguous...maybe thats the English spelling or im thinking of another word entirely!
Pray tell, what WILL happen if a choke is subjected to 30mV DC offset? Besides little or nothing...
Slowly saturates it! really! A few percent in my last one week test, cut short by a power outage, so I don't know the long term limit.
Old 16th September 2011, 03:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

@gedlee ive used VPI resin aka micafil. Epoxy based resin, thinned to a light varnish viscosity. Then wrapped in glasstape or polyester tape, and varnished again. Then the whole lot heatshrinked with raychem HT tubing.
Overkill i admit, but a couple of layers of masking tape is all you get on some ive used. Generally the Murata hi current types are ok since they are at least heat shrinked.
These inductors will see a lot more than 30mv in other apps without effect.
@simon: over a week 30mv MAY weakly magnetise the ferrite, but not saturate it. AC current will demag so its a non issue. Just imagine all those ships with PWM propulsion converters, with their 2000amp harmonic filters...working continuous for years...id imagine that would be a problem that wouldnt be tolerated.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 16th September 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!