"Quad Box" style array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have seen these used in PA but not for home use. See attached drawing showing 4 x 6" midwoofers in an old pioneer cabinet below a square tractrix horn. Midwoofers would be wired in series pairs then paralleled to keep nominal 8 ohm impedance I have modelled in edge and it seems to indicate that off axis nulls appear at around 1.5k and up depending on angle. Since I will be crossing at 800hz I imagine this shouldnt be a big problem. What do you guys think?

Pros:

- PA level SPL with decent bass extension and clean mids
- No 12" woofer resonance / breakup to worry about

Cons: Potential phase / lobing issues???

Attachments

• quad horn.jpg
    quad horn.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thanks Bjorno,

What is the program you used in the first link to model vertical and horizontal polar response? Based on your experience do you have any comments on the arrangement I posted above using 800-1200 hz crossover point with 6" driver in matrix arrangement? Thanks

Thanks Bjorno,

What is the program you used in the first link to model vertical and horizontal polar response? Based on your experience do you have any comments on the arrangement I posted above using 800-1200 hz crossover point with 6" driver in matrix arrangement? Thanks

Hi dabbler,

It's the driver inter C-C distance that for perfect(symmetrical) vertical or horizontal dispersion should stay below lambda/4, that is ~560 Hz but no more than 800 Hz (i.e. blameless => and less than lambda/2) using a >=24 dB LPF/HPF should work just fine too.

Arrayshow:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-75.html#post1209499

b:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.