Unity/Synergy horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, didn't know Yorkville made conical ones.

Since a conical horn is very close in shape to an OS waveguide, could an OS waveguide be designed with 2, 3, 4... side-entry mids like in a Unity horn? Perhaps a B&C DE5 or DE7 (smaller throat for higher cutoff with larger mouth) with two mids, two midbasses?

Last edited:
Thanks, didn't know Yorkville made conical ones.

Since a conical horn is very close in shape to an OS waveguide, could an OS waveguide be designed with 2, 3, 4... side-entry mids like in a Unity horn? Perhaps a B&C DE5 or DE7 (smaller throat for higher cutoff with larger mouth) with two mids, two midbasses?

Most of my Unity horns were elliptical oblate spheroidal.

Check out my threads on audiogroupforum, diymobileaudio, and my own forum. (forum.audiopsychosis.com)

They worked fine for me, and I prefer EOS because it has a number of advantages:

#1 - EOS is less prone to the on-axis "hole" that plagues OS waveguides
#2 - EOS has less diffraction than a conical horn
#3 - For reasons that I'm too lazy to document here, Unity and Synergy horns work a lot better when the average coverage angle is narrow. IE, a 90x90 Unity horn won't work as well as a 60x45 Unity horn. My EOS waveguide was 108 degrees by 72 degrees IIRC

Most of my Unity horns were elliptical oblate spheroidal.

#3 - For reasons that I'm too lazy to document here, Unity and Synergy horns work a lot better when the average coverage angle is narrow. IE, a 90x90 Unity horn won't work as well as a 60x45 Unity horn. My EOS waveguide was 108 degrees by 72 degrees IIRC

Isnt it that this make in reality more falling Powerresponse?

Please if you dont mind document the reasons :)

Isnt it that this make in reality more falling Powerresponse?

Please if you dont mind document the reasons :)

I have a recent thread where I documented this extensively, with multiple sims.

Basically as the coverage angle of a horn grows larger and larger the output level falls. What may not be obvious is that the situation is exacerbated at low frequencies. (IE, output level falls, but it falls more at low frequencies than high)

Due to the loss of output at low frequencies, getting the mids to 'meet up' with the compression driver is more difficult with a wide angle horn than with a narrow angle horn.

It's easier to see this if you look at the sims I performed. I posted them about two months ago, but I can't recall the name of the thread. It was a thread that I started on this forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.