Anyone used a Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon and/or a Peerless 5" HDS exclusive woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are they good in real life?

I'm building a 2 way system to go with a subwoofer and was thinking of using these drivers. Web links are-
Fountek NeoCD30
http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/06_Speakers.pdf
page 6-92

Its going to have active crossovers (LR4th order) and probably sealed, maybe vented.
I'm torn between the 5" and the 6.5" woofer, but am leaning towards the 5" for mids, but perhaps a bit light on the bass.

Are there any better drivers without spending heaps, say not more than about $100 per driver?

Thanks

Are they good in real life?

I'm building a 2 way system to go with a subwoofer and was thinking of using these drivers. Web links are-
Fountek NeoCD30
http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/06_Speakers.pdf
page 6-92

Its going to have active crossovers (LR4th order) and probably sealed, maybe vented.
I'm torn between the 5" and the 6.5" woofer, but am leaning towards the 5" for mids, but perhaps a bit light on the bass.

Are there any better drivers without spending heaps, say not more than about $100 per driver?

Thanks

if you can go with 8"

GF200 - Visaton 20 cm (8 inch) High-End woofer with double voice-coil - Europe Audio

Forget active with the Neo CD 3.0 if you don't put a capacitor at least 10uF before !
The neo 3 has a transformer and Rdc is low !

The Neo 3 is a good driver driver.

The Perless HDS, some people prefer the hds nomex instead the hds exclusive.
I would say to look at the new HDS GF ?

Troels gravesen have made some speakers with these drivers :

Yes I was going to put a cap in series with the speaker even though the amp is supposed to have DC protection.

I was wondering about the nomex too, it seems to have a flatter response in the high end (on the data in the catalog) yet other speaker kit manufacturers in the Wes Catalog use the excluse series instead. The exclusives do look flashier with the phase plug and other painted section, but its the sound I'm interested in.

Where can I find the new HDS GF?

i would go with 6 1/2 or 8 even , the bigger the better

Fountek doesn't play nice below 3khz and i the 8" diameter is physically limited to cross that high before beaming and lobing become serious issues. Drivers of no more than 5" should only be considered and the higher the XO to the Fountek the better.....resulting in only even smaller drivers being acceptable from a sound design standpoint.

The NeoCd2.0 is a great ribbon......as long as you play by the rules.

The Tang Band W5-1611 is a good contender with smoothe response to 5Khz+ and respectable efficiency as to not waste all of the potential of the Fountek.

I used a Fountek 3.0 crossed at 2kHz with a 8" magnesium driver. It played very well. See here an example of crossover at 2.4khz with a 8" Monacor SP200X +

Where can I find the new HDS GF?
It is the new range of drivers. The 5" exclusive doesn't no more exist. Only the 6.5" exclusive. I suppose they keep the best sounding drivers.
See here the range of drivers : Woofers | Tymphany

Find drivers : part express / madisound ?

I used a Fountek 3.0 crossed at 2kHz with a 8" magnesium driver. It played very well.

See here harmonic distortion measurements of Neo2.0....an even larger more robust ribbon. 2khz=not a good idea

NeoCD2.0-HD.gif

See here harmonic distortion measurements of Neo2.0....an even larger more robust ribbon. 2khz=not a good idea

NeoCD2.0-HD.gif

Why ? because harmonic distortion H2 ? H2 is not so annoying...
2kHz -6dB, +6dB of less distortion but it is in the limits of the driver.

-50dB is 0.3% not so high for a speaker... look the disto at 8Khz H3, worse case, we should avoid to use the fountek above 10KHz :clown:

I made this crossover in the real world and it worked very well ;).

Reactions: 1 user
What's the confusion? F3 or odd order is off the charts at 2hz and tearing out the eardrums at 1.5khz. Of course even orders are less important and F2 isn't even given much of thought but F3/F5......those might as well be tornado stages with this driver

Again.....i would say that 3khz and up, it doesn't get any better for the price.

Hi Mayhem13,
Im wondering where you got his graph from? this information does not seem to be readily available on most drivers.

Hey Spot....here's the link. There's a lot more info on the 2.0 in there. Basically it's a good outline of what to 'expect' from ribbons when used properly.....and um.....improperly.

Zaph|Audio

I think you'll find ALL of the information usefull as you were on the right track with the 5" midwoofer from the start.;)

Hey Spot....here's the link. There's a lot more info on the 2.0 in there. Basically it's a good outline of what to 'expect' from ribbons when used properly.....and um.....improperly.

Zaph|Audio

I think you'll find ALL of the information usefull as you were on the right track with the 5" midwoofer from the start.;)

Thanks, thats a great link. Im starting to lean away from the fountek ribbon.
Lots of stuff for me to look at for the woofer too.

Have you heard of any reviews of the Peerless NE149W-08 ?
Its an interesting construction but I would like to know how it behaves.

I wouldn't lean away at all! It's a great tweeter and with it's limitations, forces a better design by pushing the XO point out of the most sensitive range of hearing from 400-3,000hz.There's a lot of 5" midranges that get there easily and quite a few 6.5"ers as well. If you want to preserve the efficiency, use it in an MTM with a pair of the Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4ohms.....or any other 4-5" mid you like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.