Use Corian for loudspeakers cabinet ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2003, 10:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Use Corian for loudspeakers cabinet ...

Who has experience in the use of the Corian for the loudspeakers cabinet? Does someone have interesting links?

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I think the Wilson Watt/puppy used Corian until this recent model.
Since Corian is sold only to liscensed installers, it's hard to get for DIY. Other brandname of similar stuff: Avonite
Old 1st September 2003, 01:22 AM   #3
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

I used it in a preamp I made and I am about to use it for a balanced power center I'm building but I think it would be tough to machine anything other than small bookshelf speakers out of it.
Give it a shot and report your results. Someone has to do it first.
Good Luck!
Old 1st September 2003, 01:27 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tom, how did you obtain it? Both Corian and Avonite are (theoretically) only available to "licensed and certified" installers. There must be some sneaky, underhanded way for us poor speaker builders to get our hands on some...
Old 1st September 2003, 01:33 AM   #5
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

My sister in law's best friend's father is a corian dealer.
It was damn expensive even at cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-035s.jpg (39.8 KB, 1103 views)
Old 1st September 2003, 02:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That's beautiful work and gets me even more frustrated that I can't buy the stuff.
Old 1st September 2003, 04:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello SY -

Try calling up your local dealer and telling them what you want it for. I bet they'll sell you some. They want certified installers to put the stuff in houses so that it doesn't get a bad reputation. But they're not so picky about building weird projects with it. When we remodeled our bathroom I wanted to trim out a window with it. I told them what we needed and they cut it out of scrap and sold it for $100. I'm sure the money went straight into the beer fund or the guy's pocket.

It machines really well with carbide woodworking tools. I think I used an 80-tooth triple-chip blade on the table saw, and some carbide bits on the router. If you pick stuff that has a matt finish, you can just sand it with fine sandpaper and you're done.

There's a couple of choices for glues. The official stuff is expensive and toxic. They wouldn't sell me that stuff. They said to use cyanoacrylate (crazy glue), but I used epoxy in some places and RTV in others, depending on what I needed.

Good luck,
Charles Hansen
Old 1st September 2003, 04:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Charles, thanks for the suggestion!

Hmmm, I'll have to figure out the adhesive. IIRC, the base resin for Corian is PMMA, so I'll bet a filled PMMA two-part resin mix might do the trick. And that's something I can probably lay my hands on or whip up in the garage.
Old 1st September 2003, 04:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

if you have any general contractor friends i'm sure they can get hold of it as well.

or if you know someone planning or undergoing a kitchen or bathroom remodel, see if they wouldn't mind piggybacking an order. (assuming they are using corian of course.) that method is a little more complicated though, since it involves several different parties that need to be on the same page.

i didn't know that about the licenced installers though. i thought you could buy the stuff at home depot...i guess they will only sell it using their own installation service.

/andrew

ps - variac - do you remember a few years ago there was a design competition sponsored by corian? (i think somebody won with a light fixture design...?) how did the competitors obtain the material? were they given special permission by dupont or something?
Old 1st September 2003, 06:01 AM   #10
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Interestingly, I was trying to get some from a shop that had made me a little half circle counter with a round stainless bowl for a tiny San Francisco bathroom. Looked really cool.

So I go back to the place and they just wouldn't sell it to me
I was going to use it as a base for my Son of Zen amp. The person was all nervous and said that they have to account for scraps.... Then she said she would sell me all the laminate covered particle board that I wanted.

Maybe she thought I was the Corian narc checking to see if they were giving the stuff away.

Usually they bend over backwards to indulge architects since a lot of their work comes from us.........wierd.

Now if you guys can use 2" x 4" samples in various colors I can get plenty of those......

Hide this!Advertise here!