Hedgehog transmision line sims

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My transmission line sims in hornresp have lots of high Q spikes in the frequency response. If I built the speaker and stuffed it would these peaks show up?

Attachments

• hedgehog.png
    hedgehog.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 277
My transmission line sims in hornresp have lots of high Q spikes in the frequency response. If I built the speaker and stuffed it would these peaks show up?

Hi,
You've missed summing your Terminus FR with the driver.

IMO, better to make an OD(offset driver) variant in stead of an ND type in order to make the internal enclosure volume more tolerable for the suggested driver.

b:)

Attachments

• B&C-8CXN51-Hedgehog-TL.JPG
    B&C-8CXN51-Hedgehog-TL.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 255
ok I get this now but how are you meant to deal with those lower midrange nulls (200 - 400Hz)? is the stuffing sufficiant to block the terminus output at these frequancies?

Hi,

I do not deal with midrange nulls as I would never get the idea to put this driver in a tapered TL in the first place..

In case: You will never completely get rid of the nulls.

The manufactures suggestion of a ported box lends to a solution difficult to integrate to a sub if not using an advanced EQ/ HPF,iMO.

Whats left is to try a ML-TL that should be HP XO'ed at 80 Hz.

To get max performance from this driver: Make an Compound Horn or simply design a closed box(sugg. Qtc= 0.6~) and add a mid-bass down to 80 Hz or more.

b:)

Attachments

• B&C-8CXN51_ML-TL.JPG
    B&C-8CXN51_ML-TL.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 201
  • B&C-8CXN51-Compound-Horn.GIF
    B&C-8CXN51-Compound-Horn.GIF
    55.6 KB · Views: 188
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for all your help bjorno. You helped me last year with my precision devices tapped horn which I have got kind of working now; although I need to reconstruct the mouth area as it doesn't correspond to my simulation. Will show some pictures in the next few months.

Anyway I have been fiddling with the B&C 8CXN51 as I see it as the ultimate desktop monitor speaker. Mark audio drivers are great but sometimes I just want waves of sound at insane volume levels and this they cannot deliver. Another issue I have is the need for my front speakers to go lower as I have bad bass localization issues. With this in mind my idea was to build a speaker in a few months times around 30cmx30cmx1m based around this driver using some kind of transmission line loading with a f-3dB 35Hz such that I could re-engineer the PD horn to be a true subbass unit (16-60Hz).

I am now using mini-dsp so I can correct monotonic frequency issues trivially, spiky bits less. I think if I made something like this and built the line in discrete steps rather than a smooth curve with each step > 1/4 the wavelegnth of 200Hz such that there is a low pass filter effect in the line this could work.

I have also simmed a full size back loaded exponential horn with these drives with a cutoff of 60Hz and that was stupendously loud and huge, see if I can drag up the results later.

Attachments

• sims2.png
    sims2.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.