Impedance curve......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The is the impedance curve I got in LSPCad for 2 Vifa TC11s in parallel - see any problems?

My amp should should be able to handle it as it is:
115W 8 ohm
160w 4 ohm
175w 2 ohm

Attachments

• impedancetc11.jpg
    impedancetc11.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 241
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
High impedance is no problem for an amp. If it is an amp designed to give out 8 ohms, an impedance peak well over 8 ohms will give it no problems at all.

Low impedance is the problem.

I see that your lowest impedance is about 2.8 ohms. An amp rated for 2 ohms will handle it with ease. It is low impedance that causes the problems. High impedance is a piece of cake.

I think the graph is a bit misleading as I believe the impedance would start to rise from 400Hz on based on the Vifa's graph. I can't measure this. Seems similar to the impedance for the LR speaker in chapter 12 in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook - bottoms at 3 Ohms. Probably classed as a 4 Ohm speaker.

The amp manual is interesting as it states "if you use one centre speaker, the impedance of the speaker must be 4 ohm or higher, if you use 2 centre speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 2 ohm or higher". I thought that with 2 speakers you would need 8 ohms or higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.