Wavecor 6.5" WF160WA02 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 09:44 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

finally got these into more sensible 24L boxes & hooked up for a listen using my Peerless 5" mids crossed over at ~ 500Hz. The boxes are yet to be tuned pending a bit more burn-in, but my above comments are confirmed, plenty of nice sounding low end.

That said, they're still a 6" driver, & lose it a bit when really pumped. Ideal for computer monitors, bookshelfs & perhaps a small TL.... or even an 'Elsinore' clone But now I'm hankering for a pair of 15"ers/side ...
Old 8th January 2012, 10:44 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

A pair of 10" can do the job
Old 8th January 2012, 02:47 PM   #23
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
finally got these into more sensible 24L boxes.... The boxes are yet to be tuned ..That said, they're still a 6" driver, & lose it a bit when really pumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
some new measurements:
Fs 63.5 (WTF?), Qt .53, Qe .58, Qm 5.32, Vas 12L.....
at Fs 64Hz how low can it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
Edit : Wavecor has a new range of 7" driver nomex cone and paper cone with a new basket. They seem to be serious challengers to the ER18.
Which 7"? The WF182 "Balanced Drive" unit?
Old 8th January 2012, 08:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

re:'A pair of 10" can do the job ' - yeah, but 2x 15" looks so much more macho..

re:'at Fs 64Hz how low can it go?' - yes, I was surprised too, but I've got to measure the specs again after a bit more burn in (the box is tuned to ~ 39 Hz at present, it'll probably end up being in the low 40s to tighten up the bottom end a bit)
Old 19th September 2012, 02:52 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

i got these drivers in terms of bass extension its complete disappointment... Its not like the scanspeak carbon cones where you get the entire low sweetness..

I have designed this and sold to few customers all complain about the bass extension..

Mids have problems... alot of problems infact the only positive thing about this thing is it has details... alot of details... I hardly see any scanspeak or other driver can do this kind of fast response but it eats away all the sweetness in sound... I would rather prefer to use this driver as a midrange and sure cant fit in 2 way and satisfy more customers..

People who like upper mids and highs can choose this driver.

There is a serious over tone in the freq around 1khz there is some sort of breakup and uneven curve... you can even see this on the graph...

they need to re engineer this product not sufficent and the Fs is very bad for such a big driver...

so like I said technically this could be a very good mid than a mid bass...

people who say its good low bass but no... it doesnt work on that lines...
Old 19th September 2012, 03:47 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

rhythmsandy, what size box & what tuning are you using?

re: 'Its not like the scanspeak carbon cones where you get the entire low sweetness..' well, they're a LOT cheaper, I wouldn't expect them to be in the same ballpark....

Last edited by PeteMcK; 19th September 2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:54 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

height 13
width 9.5 inch
depth 10 inch
all external dimensions
two ports with 2 inch diameter 6 inch length..
Old 19th September 2012, 04:52 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

so ~17L tuned to ~ 59Hz, not surprising you're getting no low bass out of that,
you'd need a box nearly double that size & tuned to the low 40s
Old 19th September 2012, 05:02 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

what about this box?13.04 x 20.01 x 8.39
internal volume = .872 Cubic foot

Port tuned frequency 49.65Hz
Port diameter: 4.02 inches
Port Length : 12.66 inches. Matched to the accuracy of 97%
Old 19th September 2012, 05:22 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

that'll be better, but it'll give a bass rise at the low end & still fall of rapidly below ~ 50 Hz. Tuning a bit lower might be better

Hide this!Advertise here!